Respected Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

So just let me stick my nose in here...I'm 66 years old, run three times a week year round, work my bum off on the peloton the other 3 days of the week and rest one day. And this is after work mind you.  I still cook the whole Thanksgiving dinner for my kids and my grands and they look forward to it every year...I definitely serve the stuffing (regular stuffing and oyster stuffing) mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and also rolls and all the other buttery trimmings, veggies and desserts.  We eat leftovers for two days and then it's over.  All of us are athletic, healthy, active and not overweight, so we are champion gluttons three days of the year.  While I do cook Sunday dinners on occasion for everyone, they are not calorie laden like that.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday 🦃

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308   Love the leftovers, too.

Honored Contributor

tradition...

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

So just let me stick my nose in here...I'm 66 years old, run three times a week year round, work my bum off on the peloton the other 3 days of the week and rest one day. And this is after work mind you.  I still cook the whole Thanksgiving dinner for my kids and my grands and they look forward to it every year...I definitely serve the stuffing (regular stuffing and oyster stuffing) mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and also rolls and all the other buttery trimmings, veggies and desserts.  We eat leftovers for two days and then it's over.  All of us are athletic, healthy, active and not overweight, so we are champion gluttons three days of the year.  While I do cook Sunday dinners on occasion for everyone, they are not calorie laden like that.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday 🦃

@bmorechick 

Yes, some of us are very active, healthy, thin, watch what we eat all year long and I am OK with all the carbs and calories a few days a year.  

Honored Contributor

Never had stuffing or dressing growing up!  It just wasn't a thing to do!!  Still do not serve or make stuffing/dressng!!

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee  And I am grateful and thankful that I am...not everyone enjoys good health 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

The only time I have dressing is Thanksgiving.

A plate of starch metabolisms into sugar.  I had that once and got sick, sick from the insulin surge.

Esteemed Contributor

My spouse would eat my mashed potatoes and my dressing for every meal, slathered in gravy. And if I didn't make some for Thanksgiving he would feel personally attacked. LOL

If we have Thanksgiving at our house, I always make the same things every year and it makes everyone happy. We rarely have many leftovers, maybe enough for one more meal, then it's all gone.

We are a very active family and a couple of days of rich food isn't going to hurt any of us.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

Most people stuff the turkey with dressing/stuffing.  And then use the turkey drippings to make gravy, which just naturally goes with mashed potatoes.

@geezerette 

I do what you described and have rice which is a grain.

I would never serve a plate of starch.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for an interesting discussion! 

I think Tradition probably more than anything else.  

Really doen't matter...Thanksgiving is for being grateful and enjoying family! 

Hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!