Regular Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

When I moved here from England nearly 20 years ago we were invited to our first Thanksgiving by our wonderful neighbors.  It was very similar to our Christmas dinner in the UK - turkey, stuffing, etc. but I had never eaten green bean casserole, sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie.  I remember thinking how lovely that families gathers together with no gifts needed.  Now if I cook I do beef on Thanksgiving and still do turkey at Christmas as I can't do turkey twice in one month.  I do mash with both dinners and a British tradition, Yorkshire puddings.  Lol.

I love both Thanksgiving and Christmas and all the food/trimmings that comes along with it but still can't eat pumpkin pie or anything pumpkin come to think of it!

Great subject, I enjoyed reading the posts.

Valued Contributor

Around here, stuffing and dressing are the same. I’ll make roasted chickens (most of us don’t care for turkey), stuffing, mashed potatoes (wouldn’t be the same without them) sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green bean casserole, rolls and butter, and cranberry sauce.

For dessert, pumpkin pie, apple pie, cannolis, and cheesecake with blueberry topping

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

We only want what we really like, and for this meal it's the basic foods, which always includes mashed potatoes.  

When I was married, the only veggie I made (besides the mashed potatoes) was a green bean casserole.  This one was made with homemade mushroom soup (very easy to make).  Got the recipe from the back of the crispy onions from Trader Joe's.  Soooo much better than the green bean casserole made from Campbell's soup! 

Trader Joe's original green bean casserole. So much better ...

@alliswell 

Hmm.  I've had so many green bean casseroles over the years and they all seem the same ... but I may have to try this.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Trader Joe's original green bean casserole. So much better ...

@alliswell 

Hmm.  I've had so many green bean casseroles over the years and they all seem the same ... but I may have to try this.  

@Tinkrbl44   

After you try it, I hope you will post what your thoughts are here - whether positive or negative..

Valued Contributor

@candys mine I agree with you.  I love flavored mashed potatoes with any meal but this one.  I don't like gravy on anything but the plain mashed potatoes.  Enjoy your meal!

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

Hi @Qshopper1991,

I've read the recipe four times.  Unless I've overlooked it 4x, there is no instruction listed for the treatment of the sautéed mushrooms and onions after they are set aside in step #1.  I thought the mushrooms would have been combined with the thickened milk in step #3  but there it states that the thickened milk is poured over the green beans.  

Are the mushroom and milk mixture combined, then poured over the beans?  Thx!

@vabreeze   I agree with you, combine the mushrooms & milk and pour over the green beans.  Good catch!