Esteemed Contributor

OK, call me crazy, but why...

do people serve Dressing/Stuffing and mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving? 

Honored Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

@Zhills My question is: Why not? some like one or the other or both. No big deal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

do people serve Dressing/Stuffing and mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving? 

Dressing and stuffing are two very different items of food.  Stuffing is put inside the turkey and is nothing like homemade dressing.  Although many do not like all the ingredients in dressing, they will eat mash potatoes.  I always like to have two carbohydrates on the table but I usually elect to have a sweet potato prepared in some way, roasted or in a casserole (as one of mine rather than mashed potatoes but sometimes a DIL who loves mashed potatoes and sour cream, will bring them), but to each his own.  I don't do the same kind of stuffing as many others.  I do a couple small apples, a mandarin orange, a large onion and celery stalks, no bread in mine.  Just veggies and fruit.  I make dressing from the turkey or chicken broth whichever I have.  If I have a roast, I also do a hen for dressing.  Dressing starts with on eggbread, a cornbread with several eggs for richness which is, after baking, then mashed up with buttermilk and olive oil, to which I add onions, avocado, chopped pecans, parsley and celery, some sage, salt, pepper, etc.  I spray a bundt pan and put the dressing into it and bake, bring it out and unmold it, place celery and so forth around the perimeter to dress it.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely!  Can't imagine not having both on Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd serve stuffing and mashed potatoes with every meal if I could.  Love them both!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely, both of them & some kind of sweet potato/yam dish too - all part of the delicious holiday meals, festivities & leftovers. Growing up we'd have some kind of pasta dish (usually lasagna) before the whole turkey spread - that's Italian!

Respected Contributor

Mashed potatoes, mashed potato dressing, and stuffing. The more sides, the more leftovers.

Honored Contributor

Most people stuff the turkey with dressing/stuffing.  And then use the turkey drippings to make gravy, which just naturally goes with mashed potatoes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday   I'm coming to your house.  I want some of that fruit/vegetable stuffing.  Never heard of that but it sounds delicious.

I also want my Mother's dressing too.  DH's family is southern so we now always have cornbread dressing but I prefer bread dressing like Mom made.  And I'll also take mashed potatoes, candied yams, turkey and any otehr side dishes that appear.

Edited to add:  We also have sweet potatoe pie instead of pumpkin pie but I prefer pumpkin, but in our family now I'm the only one who never had sweet potatoe pie.  It was pumpkin all the way.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Could be a couple reasons:

- when serving a large crowd, some may like one and some another

- if one is pricier or more involved, having more options makes sense