Trusted Contributor

Re: OK, call me crazy, but why...

I serve turking dressing, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes as well as rolls. All homemade and delicious.  My menu consists of all of the above as well as turkey, ham, fresh green beans, carrots, homemade cranberry sauce, gravy, salad, and pies for dessert.  This provides my guests with options. Many take small portions of everything. My family knows to come hungry and wear loose clothes LOL.  Amazing they are all thin anyway.

Valued Contributor

This is my first Thanksgiving after being diagnosed gluten intolerant.  Used to serve both, but since my husband hates stuffing, I don't go to the bother of making stuffing from scratch with gluten free bread just for myself. 

It's just about the only food I miss on the gluten free diet.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Qshopper1991,

I've read the recipe four times.  Unless I've overlooked it 4x, there is no instruction listed for the treatment of the sautéed mushrooms and onions after they are set aside in step #1.  I thought the mushrooms would have been combined with the thickened milk in step #3  but there it states that the thickened milk is poured over the green beans.  

Are the mushroom and milk mixture combined, then poured over the beans?  Thx!

Honored Contributor

I think it is law in the state of washington!!!Woman Wink Love those 2 foods especially for leftovers--- always put stuffing on my turkey sammie covered in gravy. mashed spuds---anytime anyday!!

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why it would be an issue. I serve two vegetables and sometimes both turkey and ham. Simply offering more choices, and having plenty of leftovers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know why anyone would even bring up "nutrition" when talking about holiday meals. I mean really, we all know people have medical issues and need to watch what they eat, but that's a separate subject.

You don't make a holiday meal to follow the food pyramid  unless you are the Grinch, and you make the things people love and serve that.  If it's toast and ice cream, ghost pepper enchiladas or 6 pies like we had at my house, go for it! 

One year we had a wild turkey, a duck, and a goose, and I think a few quail! A real down home feast for us, and I think a couple of us had poultry only with a pie chaser!  

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

I serve turking dressing, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes as well as rolls. All homemade and delicious.  My menu consists of all of the above as well as turkey, ham, fresh green beans, carrots, homemade cranberry sauce, gravy, salad, and pies for dessert.  This provides my guests with options. Many take small portions of everything. My family knows to come hungry and wear loose clothes LOL.  Amazing they are all thin anyway.

I say "Thanksgiving comes but once a year and if you want to eat grass or you want to eat a stack of pancakes, or whatever, and your family enjoys that or pizza and beer, do it."  I'ts yours, it's your family and whatever you and your family enjoy eating, cook it.  I agree with you.  If i die that day from eating turkey, I bet I won't be the first or the last and I get no prize for doing with or without it.  I just believe in living and letting others enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have stuffing (dressing depending on where you live) and rice because it's a grain and a different texture.

Since I taught nutrition, I would never serve dressing and potatoes, and corn, or any combination of the two.

@ECBG  It's Thanksgiving. For most people it's one day to enjoy without thinking about whether or not the meal is nutritious. Dressing and mashed potatoes with gravy are traditional and a lot of people love both.

Super Contributor

I am all for the traditional dinner with all the starches, turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, yams, beans, gravy, rolls, etc. However, my family are all watching their weight, some do not like turkey at all, and they have asked that we do something different. I am hosting, so looks like they will all bring an appetizer, and we will have a roast chicken and salmon, with cauliflower bake, green beans, roasted red potatos. Someone is bring a lo-cal apple turnover. 

We also feed another relative that won't attend, so that's what we are having this time. When we have gone out to dinner on Thanksgiving, NO ONE orders the traditional T-day meal, so I guess this pleases everyone coming. 

Have a happy!!

Respected Contributor

I like both on the plate.  To be honest I like a very plain Mashed potato.  Just butter and milk.  There are SO many tasty things to eat  that I like something plain between bites. Otherwise everything is mangled with everything else and you don't know what it really tastes like.

Boy oh Boy!  I can't hardly wait! It's gonna be Yummy!