Highlighted
Honored Contributor

OH NO! Made a mistake cooking!

I am making beef stew for dinner.

Was adding all the spices. It called for Paprika. By accident I added Cinnamon. Do you think I ruined the stew?

I do not have the beef to start over again.

A side note - I had to throw out the lasagna I made last week. I didn't like the way the saugage tasted. So the whole thing had to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: OH NO! Made a mistake cooking!

the older i get....the more mistakes i make in the kitchen......even with recipes i've made for years....i've just about given up....been cooking for 50 years!!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   Taste it and see if its ruined.  If you don't like the taste, take the meat and vegetables out, rinse them then put them in a fresh pot with new liquid.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You remind me of the time my bf did the same thing with a pasta dish...he added cinnamon instead of cayenne. I think he tried to take out some of the sauce, add right ingredients. We still ate it, laughed our way through as it was a tad "cinnamony", but basically still ok. 

I wonder how bad this will taste...I don't know how much you put in...but I wouldn't toss it quite yet.

It may just give it a "layer" and definitely cook down into whatever else is going on.

I recall an Emeril Lagasse recipe for beef stew I did where you added cocoa powder to it...it gave it a depth of flavor, didn't really taste chocolate. 

I mean it may be ok. Maybe not but give it a try. Not like it will kill you! May just give it an unusual layer of flavor.

Can you scoop any of it out? Try that too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  I sometimes add cinnamon to my chili, so I would taste it and see.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla   Taste it and see if its ruined.  If you don't like the taste, take the meat and vegetables out, rinse them then put them in a fresh pot with new liquid

Good advice.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla - I've done things like this so many times! I think you'll be fine.

When I was first married I made a birthday cake for my next door neighbor. I didn't have confectionery sugar, so I thought- sugar is sugar- and I used regular sugar.

She laughed it off when we sat at her kitchen table to have some, and that was one of the many cooking and other lessons I learned from her!

I just made a recipe mistake during the holidays!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I just tasted it. It has a weird taste. I don't think I have ever had cinnamon and beef stock before. I tried to scoop it out but it is all over the onions and meat. I am afraid to rinse it because the beef stock is from the beef that I browned. If I rinse it off I will lose the "real" beef stock. I had sprinkled it all over the top. 

I decided to just go with it. It will add another dimension to the stew. Maybe good, Maybe bad. 

I am not going to to tell the Men Folk. All the ingredients are fresh so no one will get sick.

I might give it an additional dose of Worcestershire sauce to try and mask the cinnamon.

Thanks, ladies for helping me through my panic.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I just tasted it. It has a weird taste. I don't think I have ever had cinnamon and beef stock before. I tried to scoop it out but it is all over the onions and meat. I am afraid to rinse it because the beef stock is from the beef that I browned. If I rinse it off I will lose the "real" beef stock. I had sprinkled it all over the top. 

I decided to just go with it. It will add another dimension to the stew. Maybe good, Maybe bad. 

I am not going to to tell the Men Folk. All the ingredients are fresh so no one will get sick.

I might give it an additional dose of Worcestershire sauce to try and mask the cinnamon.

Thanks, ladies for helping me through my panic.

@drizzellla   Add chili powder to mask the cinnamon and turn the beef stew into chili.

Honored Contributor

Think along these lines and maybe add some middle eastern flair to dinner!  Use what sounds good.

Ingredients
  • ¾ tbsp kosher salt, plus ½ tsp, divided
  • 2½ tsp coriander
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1½ tsp ground allspice
  • ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp ground turmeric
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
  • 4 pound boneless chuck roast
  • 2 tbsp ghee or neutral oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 lb carrots, cut on a large diagonal
  • 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3½ cups low sodium beef broth
  • 4 sprigs of thyme
  • ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
  • hot basmati rice for serving (optional)