Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2019 RECIPE GAME

This is an oldie.....remember Tupperware molds...good recipe for that or any type salad mold.  Seems we used to see Jello salads at a lot of holiday gatherings....not so much anymore.....maybe I will make this again for old times sake!!  Very pretty for holiday time with red/green but you could use any two flavors of gelatin.

Holiday Ribbon Ring

2 pkgs (4 serving size) Jello Strawberry Gelatin

5 cups boiling water

2/3 cup SOUR CREAM (or vanilla yogurt)

2 pkgs (4 serving size) Jello Lime Gelatin 

Dissolve strawberry gelatin in 2 1/2 cups boiling water.  Pour 1 1/2 cups into a 6-cup ring mold.  Chill until set but not firm, about 15 minutes.  Chill remaining gelatin in bowl; gradually blend in 1/3 cup SOUR CREAM and spoon over gelatin in mold.  Chill until set but not firm, again..about 15 minutes.  Repeat with lime gelatin, remaining 2 1/2 cups boiling water and 1/3 cup SOUR CREAM, chilling dissolved gelatin before measuring and pouring into mold.  Chill at least 2 hours or longer before you unmold and serve. 

NEXT  INGREDiIENT .....  CINNAMON

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, @aroc3435 

I know it's often frowned upon to use soup mixes in recipes, but sometimes they are a life saver. Most of them are offered in low sodium varieties, too, which I always opt for.  I'm often responsible for bringing side dishes when we get together with our friends and this rice casserole might be a nice alternative.  I' thinking it would be even better with chopped broccoli or peas or mushrooms. 

I look forward to giving it a try.

Next Ingredient:  CINNAMON

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat Well, frowned upon or not by many, condensed soup is a big help at times.  I opt for the low sodium varieties, too, since they have become readily available.

The additions you suggest would be quite good, I think.  This recipe is my own basic concoction.  I have made it "pilaf" or "Rice-a-Roni" like by toasting some orzo and adding that to the mixture when assembling for baking.

When I was a divorced mom of two children trying to stretch my food budget rice was one of my reliable meal stretchers.

If anyone remembers Graham Kerr of Galloping Gourmet fame in the 1970's he did a very simple oven rice bake like this one though I don't think he used canned soup.  But that was one of the inspirations for me for this recipe.

My kids insisted they didn't like onions so I would use a fine grater to render them invisible along with their juice in recipes for flavor.  Of course, they've outgrown the onion aversion, but my daughter still doesn't like mushrooms, which I still use sometimes, pre-sauteed, in this recipe sometimes.

In any event, it is a hit in my home, when I make it.  And it is liked enough that when I make it I double the recipe.

Thank you, as always, for your helpful comments.

aroc3435

Next Ingredient:  CINNAMON

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

Graham Kerr!  I grew up watching him with my dad, who didn't have time to cook in those days due to his work schedule. We so loved to watch the Galloping Gourmet and when Dad retired in 1982 he got busy in the kitchen immediately and became the best cook in our extended family.  I know I got my love of cooking from Dad, and if he got it from Graham Kerr, then I owe him a great deal of respect. He was the center of some ugly controversy towards the end of his career, but I still remember his shows fondly.  I found a couple of old episodes on YouTube, but can't find the whole series. If anyone knows which streaming service might have them, I'd love to know.

BTW, my husband doesn't like mushrooms, more because of the texture than the taste. If I make them small enough he'll eat them.

Next ingredient:  CINNAMON

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

I think your Zesty Ritz Crackers will become a replacement, at least for the time being, for my love of all things chips!!!  It will be the appetizer I take to the next potluck I attend!  TFS!

Esteemed Contributor

Betty Crocker Prize Coffee Cake

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sifted gold medal flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together the sugar, butter and egg. Stir in the milk and flour mixture (flour, baking powder, salt).
Spread batter in greased and floured 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle with desired topping. Bake until wooden pick thrust into center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm, fresh from the oven.

Streusel Topping

1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bake at 375 for 25 to 35 minutes!

Tastes just like mom used to make!

Next ingredient:  Bacon

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@aroc3435 

Graham Kerr!  I grew up watching him with my dad, who didn't have time to cook in those days due to his work schedule. We so loved to watch the Galloping Gourmet and when Dad retired in 1982 he got busy in the kitchen immediately and became the best cook in our extended family.  I know I got my love of cooking from Dad, and if he got it from Graham Kerr, then I owe him a great deal of respect. He was the center of some ugly controversy towards the end of his career, but I still remember his shows fondly.  I found a couple of old episodes on YouTube, but can't find the whole series. If anyone knows which streaming service might have them, I'd love to know.

BTW, my husband doesn't like mushrooms, more because of the texture than the taste. If I make them small enough he'll eat them.

@house_cat  Graham Kerr is on Amazon Prime. It's under Graham Kerr's Kitchen not Galloping Gourmet. I haven't watched them but some are there. If you watch them, enjoy.

Next Ingredient: BACON

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@vabreeze 

I hope you enjoy them.  I share your love of all things chips!

@Zhills 

That recipe has long been one of my three go-to coffee cake recipes, and coffee cake is my all time favorite cake!

@Coquille 

Thank you for the information. I have Amazon Prime.  Is Graham Kerr's Kitchen the same as Galloping Gourmet or is it a later series of his?

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BACON

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Chicken, Bacon, Avocado, Ranch Lettuce Wraps

882DE1A7-28A3-43D2-9320-16F260685AEF.jpeg

• 2 chicken breasts or thighs
  • 1/2 beefsteak tomato, diced
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 lb bacon
  • Ranch dressing
  • Boston Bibb, romaine, or iceberg lettuce
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 lime
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning (or chili lime seasoning if you have it)

Instructions

1. Start by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper, then grill them (you could do stovetop as well).
  2. Meanwhile, bake your bacon on a foil lined cookie sheet at 420°. Start checking for doneness at 15 minutes but it will likely take closer to 20.
  3. I had used ends and pieces so they came already chopped, but if you use regular slab bacon crumble it up after it's cooked.
  4. When the chicken is done, cut it up into bite sized pieces and mix the cilantro in.
  5. Wash the lettuce, and carefully remove each leaf so that it creates a boat, or cup to put the yumminess in.
  6. Now set all your ingredients out so people can build their own lettuce wrap. Squeeze the half a lime over the avocado, tomato, and chicken.
  7. Take the lettuce leaf, fill it with the bacon, avocado, tomato, and chicken. Then drizzle with ranch.
  8. Eat it like a taco and enjoy!

Next Ingredient: SPICY BROWN MUSTARD

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat I'm not sure. I think it's later but how much later, I don't know.

Next Ingredient: SPICY BROWN MUSTARD

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.