Regular Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Lamb Pilaf

We love butterflied leg of lamb, and I ask DH, the professional Cook, to slice off a pound or so from the larger end-much leaner than stew meat and suitable for either Kibbee or my own spin on this Middle Eastern dish.

1 pound extra lean boneless lamb, 1" x 1/2" strips

1 medium white onion, minced

2 cloves garlic, smashed

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Cup medium bulgur ("Ala"), soaked in warm water then drained on paper towels

1 1/2 to 2 Cups beef broth

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 Cup pine nuts

1/4 Cup raisins or currants (optional)

Method:

In 10-12" chicken fryer, combine 1/2 lamb

chunks with 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat, browning a minute or so each side. Remove and repeat with remaining lamb.

Saute onions over medium heat, adding garlic after a few minutes. After a minute of lightly stir tossing garlic, add prepared grain and remaining oil. Add in allspice and stir occasionally, another  few minutes. Gradually stir in 1 1/2 Cups broth, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes.

Remove lid, stir in prepared lamb, pepper, pine nuts and fruit if desired. If bulgur seems dry, add remaining 1/2 C broth, then taste for seasoning. At this point extra salt, pepper or spice may be added. Stir gently, recover and continue cooking about 5 minutes until lamb heated through.

4 large servings. Good source of fiber and

protein. May sub couscous for bulgur and slivered almonds for pine nuts if desired.

Next ingredient: cream cheese

Honored Contributor

@walker 

Thank you!  I'm just preparing my menu for the week and I have a pound of ground chicken that I've been wanting to use, in my freezer.  DH is still on a "dental-work-friendly" diet and I think he'd love the Chicken Parm Burgers.  

Next ingredient: Cream Cheese

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

house_cat....happy this recipe can help and you just gave me an idea ...my DH has to have some dental work done next week.  I may be fixing these then as well!  Hope we all enjoy!

Honored Contributor

CREAM CHEESE Roll-ups*

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened

4 ozs. Salsa

4 green onions, finely sliced

4 large flour tortillas

10 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces & cooked crisp

16 thin slices of deli ham

In a medium bowl, mix together CREAM CHEESE, salsa and onions until fully combined.  Spread the tortillas with the mixture, leaving a 1/2" edge.  Top with bacon and ham.  Roll into tight cylinders and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.  Remove from fridge, discard the plastic wrap and cut each roll into 1" pieces, discarding uneven ends.  About eight pieces per roll.

* This is a Trisha Yearwood recipe she calls "aka Redneck Sushi".....and suggests "hot" salsa...your choice.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... BREAD

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

exps3063_CS143580D09_23_1b-2-696x696.jpg

Potato Stuffing Casserole

Directions

• In a medium skillet, saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender. Add bread cubes and stir until lightly browned. Stir in potatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, milk and egg; mix well.
  • Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Dot with remaining butter. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with additional parsley.

*I've never made this before, but what's not to like? 

It's from Taste of Home and has excellent reviews.

Next ingredient:  butter

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Dill Pickle Soup

This Polish soup might sound a bit unusual but trust me, it’s delicious!

B64560E4-8769-48CF-B4E3-C5E40851CE4B.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onion finely minced
  • 1 large carrot grated on large holes of box grater
  • 1 c dill pickles sliced horizontally and then halved
  • 5 c vegetable broth or chicken broth if you want
  • 3 medium potato peeled and cubed
  • 4 1/2 tbsp sour cream
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour
  • 4-5 tbsp pickle juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 4 tbsp dill chopped
Instructions
  • Add broth to a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add potatoes, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.
  • At the same time, heat butter in large non-stick pan over medium heat.
  • Add onion and carrot and cook until vegetables begin to soften, approximately 7 minutes. Stir in dill pickles and cook for 3 more minutes.
  • While vegetables are cooking, in a medium bowl whisk together sour cream, flour and 3 tablespoons of dill pickle juice.* (Note 1)
  • Stir in sautéed vegetables, salt, pepper, sour cream and flour mixture into the pot with potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender when poked with a knife.
  • Remove from the heat, and serve immediately garnished with fresh dill.
Notes
Note 1

When you whisk together sour cream, flour and pickle juice, you want the mixture to be quite liquidy, like a buttermilk, otherwise it will turn lumpy when added into a soup.

For this I recommend to either add an additional tablespoon of pickle juice or a few tablespoon of vegetable broth from the same pot with potatoes.

You can always adjust the amount of pickle juice. If you want the soup to taste more briny, go ahead and add more pickle juice, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Nutrition

Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.8g | Protein: 10.6g | Fat: 10.7g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 4129mg | Potassium: 1117mg | Fiber: 4.8g | Sugar: 4.4g | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 4mg

Next Ingredient: JAR ROASTED RED PEPPERS
Honored Contributor

@walker 

I made the chicken parm burgers last night.  DH and I enjoyed them very much. He gave me the thumbs up to make them again :-)

My son who lives with us, rarely eats with us, but he happened to be around and said, "Something smells good. What's for dinner?".   I told him what it was and he said, "Mind if I taste it? It smells good but there's something about ground chicken that just turns me off".  Well, he ate the whole thing and said it was good... go figure, lol.

Next Ingredient: JAR ROASTED RED PEPPERS

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

house_cat...thanks for the "thumbs up" for recipe....glad you enjoyed it at your house.  I will be making it this week...anxious to try it now.  

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... JAR ROASTED RED PEPPERS

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Devilicious Cheese Ball

from Yesterdish website

Featured Ingredient:  JAR OF ROASTED RED PEPPERS

2  4 1/2 oz. cans of Underwood Deviled ham

1   8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup diced tomato

1/2 cup diced green pepper (I use well drained roasted red

peppers instead.)

1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese 

1/2 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds

dried parsley flakes or fresh chopped parsley*

Combine all ingredients except seeds and parsley.  Refrigerate until firm enough to shape into a ball.  Roll in seeds and/or parsley.

*Parsley is my addition.  Can also add a tsp of dry mustard or prepared horseradish, or some grated fresh onion and its juice.

Next Ingredient:  OREGANO 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

One Pot Greek Chicken & Lemon Rice

Ingredients

Chicken and Marinade

• 5 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
  • 1 - 2 lemons, zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice (Note 7)
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp salt

Rice

• 1½ tbsp olive oil, separated
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup long grain rice (Note
  • 1½ cups chicken broth / stock
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Black pepper

Garnish

• Finely chopped parsley or oregano (optional)
  • Fresh lemon zest (highly recommended)

Instructions

1. Combine the Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and set aside for at least 20 minutes but preferably overnight.

To Cook

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Remove chicken from marinade, but reserve the Marinade.
  3. Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a deep, heavy based skillet (Note 2) over medium high heat.
  4. Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
  5. Pour off fat and wipe the pan with a scrunched up ball of paper towel (to remove black bits), then return to the stove.
  6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. Then add the remaining Rice ingredients and reserved Marinade.
  7. Let the liquid come to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 seconds. Place the chicken on top then place a lid on the skillet (Note 3). Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender (so 45 minutes in total).
  8. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, garnished with parsley or oregano and fresh lemon zest, if desired.

Notes

1. I use bone in, skin on chicken thighs because there's more flavour. But you can use skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets if you prefer. If you do that, place the chicken in the pan 20 minutes into the baking time because the chicken won't need as long.

2. I garnished this with slices of lemon which I seared in the pan after cooking the chicken.

5. How to make this entirely on stove top (readers' request). Though the result isn't quite the same as baking because you sacrifice either the chicken juices mixing in with the rice OR the crispy skin, it can be made entirely on the stove. There are two options:

a) Cook the chicken completely on the stove, set aside and cook the rice on the stove (reduce the liquid by ½ cup). To cook the rice, just follow the recipe directions up to the point just before putting it in the oven. Instead of doing that, put the lid on and cook on medium low until the liquid is absorbed (about 12 - 15 minutes). When the rice is almost ready, pop the chicken back in on top of the rice and put the lid on to warm up, and finish cooking the rice. This will yield a chicken with crispier skin than the second method.

b) The 2nd method is to sear the chicken but not cook it through, then pop it on to of the rice to finish cooking while the rice cooks. This method is easier and you will get the benefit of the chicken juices mixing in with the rice while it cooks but you will lose the crispiness of the skin.

7. You need enough lemon to get 4 tbsp of lemon juice which will be 1 large or 2 small lemons. Use all the zest from the lemon(s) that you use.

Next ingredient:  Rosemary