Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook Collection, Good Books, 2005             

Page 109

Phyllis Pellman Good

Featured Ingredient:  Onion Soup Mix

2 1/2 to 3 lb. chicken, cut up

16  oz. can whole cranberry sauce

8 oz. bottle Russian dressing

1 package dry onion soup mix

Place chicken in slow cooker.  Combine cranberry sauce and soup mix.  Pour over chicken.

Cover and chill 1 to 8 hours, or overnight.  Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours.

Serve over rice or noodles.

Next Ingredient:  CELERY OR CELERY SEED

Respected Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2019 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

Blue Ribbon Cranberry Chicken

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook Collection, Good Books, 2005             

Page 109

Phyllis Pellman Good

Featured Ingredient:  Onion Soup Mix

2 1/2 to 3 lb. chicken, cut up

16  oz. can whole cranberry sauce

8 oz. bottle Russian dressing

1 package dry onion soup mix

Place chicken in slow cooker.  Combine cranberry sauce and soup mix.  Pour over chicken.

Cover and chill 1 to 8 hours, or overnight.  Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 6 to 8 hours.

Serve over rice or noodles.

@aroc3435  I've been making this recipe for 40 years and it has always been one of my favorites.  I also use basically the same recipe for meatballs. Instead of Russian dressing I use Tomato Sauce with mushrooms.

Love, love, love this recipe! Thanks.

NEXT INGREDIENT: CELERY OR CELERY SEED

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

@Coquille Thanks for offering your tried and true take on this.  I like the variation you mention and must try it.   I love mushrooms and meatballs.

I have also substituted the newer, spicy Kraft Catalina bottled dressing for Russian when I was out of that and it was pretty good.

Sometimes, though I really enjoy cooking, I just like an ultra carefree recipe like this so I can put my feet up or catch up on other household tasks,

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Coquille Thanks for offering your tried and true take on this.  I like the variation you mention and must try it.   I love mushrooms and meatballs.

I have also substituted the newer, spicy Kraft Catalina bottled dressing for Russian when I was out of that and it was pretty good.

Sometimes, though I really enjoy cooking, I just like an ultra carefree recipe like this so I can put my feet up or catch up on other household tasks,

@aroc3435  I have to go for the day but I have a big smile on my face. I never used Russian Dressing. I only and always used the Catalina Dressing. Years and years ago, I used to put the Catalina on top of a raw chicken, stick it under the broiler and cook on both sides until they were done. Crispy yet juice. Again, I haven't made that for at least 20 years and I have no idea how long I would cook it that way now. BOY, everyone went crazy for it!

Have a good day!

NEXT INGREDIENT: CELERY OR CELERY SEED

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It’s soup season and this is a delicious, light soup using celery. Very easy to make too. I add celery leaves in after cooking for more nutrition and less waste. 

Cream of Celery Soup

Taste the raw celery you plan to use in this soup. The celery should be fresh and good on its own, not old or bitter. If you have a particularly tough or bitter bunch of celery, please don't use it in this soup, find another use for it.

• Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 4 to 5
INGREDIENTS
  • 3 Tbsp butter, divided into 2 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
  • 5 cups of chopped celery, and 1 1/2 cups of diced celery  (from one large bunch of celery or two small bunches)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, to taste
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cream
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Fresh chopped chives or parsley for garnish
METHOD

1 Sauté onions, leeks, 5 cups of chopped celery: Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a thick-bottomed 4 to 5 quart pot on medium heat. Add the diced onion, the leeks, and 5 cups of the chopped celery.

Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute more.

2 Add stock, bay leaves, salt, then simmer: Add the chicken stock and bay leaves to the pot. Taste for salt and add salt. (If you are using unsalted butter and unsalted stock, you will need to add more salt than you expect, if not, maybe just a little salt will be needed.)

Increase heat to bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.

3 Braise remaining celery to soften: While the soup is simmering, prepare the extra celery that will be added later to the soup. In a separate small sauté pan, melt 1 Tbsp of butter on medium heat. Add 1 1/2 cups diced celery to the butter.

Ladle 1/2 cup of the simmering stock from the soup pot into the sauté pan. Simmer on low for 5 or 6 minutes to soften the celery. Set aside.

4 Purée soup: Remove the soup pot from heat, let cool slightly. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender, filling the blender no more than a third full at a time (keep your hand on the lid so the hot liquid doesn't explode). Return the puréed soup to the pot.

5 Stir in the cream and the braised diced celery.

Taste for salt and add more if needed. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and chopped chives or parsley to serve.

Next Ingredient: LEMON ZEST

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lemon Zest Dream Bars

My dear Grandma was a gifted baker and this recipe dates back to the 30's or 40's, a bar cookie with 3 distinct layers. The shortbread, crust like base helps counteract the sweet icing, as does the lemon zest.

Dreambarswithlemonfrostingthisversionwithoutnuts.jpg

Preheat oven to 350. Use 9 x 9 pan, lightly coat with butter flavor pan spray.

Crust layer: Combine 1/2 Cup softened butter, 3 Tablespoons sugar, 1 1/4 Cup sifted flour, pat evenly into bottom and 1" up sides of prepared pan. Bake 10 min. Cool.

Filling layer:  2 large eggs, room temperature, 3/4 Cup packed brown sugar,

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt,

1 Cup flaked coconut, 3/4 Cup chopped nuts, (walnuts are good here).

In medium bowl, beat eggs, add other ingredients 1 at a time.  Pour into even layer over cooled crust and bake 20 minutes until just set and golden brown.  Cool.

Lemon Icing:  1 Tablespoon lemon zest, 3 Tablespoons lemon juice, (fresh is best),

1 1/2 Cups sifted powdered sugar. Pour glaze type frosting over cut bars. Refrigerate leftovers.  Variation: orange juice and orange zest, add 1 Tablespoon softened butter.

Next ingredient: Applesauce

Honored Contributor

APPLESAUCE Cake*

1 cup butter, softened

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

3 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 Tablespoon baking soda

2 1/2 cups APPLESAUCE

2 Tablespoons corn syrup

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans

Cream butter and add sugar gradually.  Add eggs.  Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices.  Set aside.  Mix together APPLESAUCE and corn syrup.  Add flour mixture and APPLESAUCE mixture alternately with butter mixture.

Fold in raisins and nuts. Pour batter into greased 9 x 13" pan.  Bake in slow oven, 300 degrees, for about 1 1/2 hours.

* This is an old recipe (over 50 years) that my mother used to make.  I can't remember the last time I sifted flour but wrote as recipe states.  Also, 300 degrees seems real low but again....just telling it like it is...😀.  Adjust and update as desired.  Maybe 350 for 30-45 minutes(?)  ...not sure....have not made in long time.  But good!  Can frost or leave plain.

Out of curiosity, just looked up in my old Betty Crocker cookbook.....similar recipe says bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT.....AVOCADO

Respected Contributor

@walker This sounds like an excellent heritage recipe.  Thank you for sharing it.

Had your mom copied it and maybe her oven ran "hot" so she adjusted to a lower temperature?

Next Ingredient:  AVOCADO

Valued Contributor

Bean Dip

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 thick slice onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, smashed

1 tsp olive oil

1/4 tsp cumin

1 avocado

1 tbsp greek yogurt

mix all in food processor (I use Ninja) until smooth.  put in small bowl.  microwave until warm.  serve with chips

next ingredient SEAFOOD

Honored Contributor

Great recipes everyone and so glad to see some new faces here!!

Fantasy Fish Cakes
Prep Time
4 mins
Cook Time
5 mins
Total Time
9 mins

These are so easy and inexpensive to make. My kids, who hate tuna, loved these. They keep asking me to make them again. We are obsessed with the Alioli Sauce too. Definitely a keeper.
Course: gluten free, grain free, low carb, paleo, primal
Cuisine: main dish or appetizer
Servings: 3
Calories: 144 kcal
Author: Stacey
Ingredients
  • 5 to 6 ounce Can Tuna Fish or packet
  • 1 Egg beaten.
  • 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese ( can omit for diary free)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Golden Flax Meal
  • 2 Tbsp Almond meal or almond flour
  • 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp onion powder
  • 2 Tbsp Avocado oil, or Coconut Oil or Olive oil for frying
  • THE AIOLI SAUCE:
  • 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
  • 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
  • 1 Tsp Grated Lemon Zest
  • 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
Instructions
  1. Drain tuna extra well, pat with a paper towel once drained.
  2. Mix all ingredients, except olive oil and sauce ingredients, in a mixing bowl
  3. Heat oil in Frying pan over medium high heat.
  4. Place a heaping spoonful into fry pan and press the spoonful down and flatten with back of spoon or spatula.
  5. Fry for about 2- 3 minutes on each side until browned and crusted.
  6. It helps to not flip it until the side forms a browned crust.
  7. Aioli Sauce:
  8. Mix all Ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
Recipe Notes

Make Aoili Sauce in advance, so it can chill while fish cakes are cooking.

Nutrition Facts
Fantasy Fish Cakes

Amount Per Serving
Calories 144Calories from Fat 63

% Daily Value*
Fat 7g11%
Carbohydrates 1.2g0%
Fiber 0.7g3%
Sugar 0.1g0%
Protein 18g36%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
EB928467-6A4E-444C-B6F5-B0B38D12A5D2.jpeg

Next Ingredient: PRETZELS