Honored Contributor

Re: OCTOBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

I hate to give up on an ingredient so I found a Kasha recipe. I made something similar to this awhile back. 😊😋

BUCKWHEAT KASHA WITH CAMARELIZED MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS

Buckwheat kasha with camarelized mushrooms and onions is a chewy, earthy dish that is perfect for cold winter days when we need some comfort and nourishment. Unlike my mother, I sometimes add kale to my version in order to spruce up the greens quotient.
Author: Ksenia Prints
Recipe type: Grains
Cuisine: Russian cuisine

Recipe is gluten-free and can be made vegan. 

INGREDIENTS
1 cup buckwheat groats (preferably the dark, pre-toasted ones, that are labeled kasha and available boxed up in Russian stores and European delis. Though the dry raw ones you find in bulk in health stores are also totally fine)
1 med-sized onion
1 lb mushrooms (any kind will do)
2 TBs vegan margarine (or butter)
3 cups of kale (about 5-6 large leaves), optional

INSTRUCTIONS
Chop onion finely. Slice mushroom thinly. Chop kale into strips, saving the stems for stalk. Set aside.

Wash buckwheat (kasha) well and ensure you sift through it. Drain well. Heat a pan (preferably cast iron) on med-high heat, and add buckwheat. toast groats for 5 minutes, stirring often, until it becomes fragrant. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add kale, and let cook for 2 mins. Remove kale from the water and set aside. bring water back to a boil.

Once water is boiling again, add ½ tsp salt and the toasted buckwheat. Lower heat to minimum, cover, and continue cooking for another 20-30 mins - without stirring. When kasha is soft and all water has evaporated, remove from heat and cover w a towel, and a lid on top.

While buckwheat is cooking, heat pan once more on med heat. Add 2 TBs vegan margarine (or butter), and once it's melted, add onion. Let cook for 5-10 mins, until it becomes translucent. add mushrooms, and cook on med heat for another 10 mins, until mushrooms and onions have browned. Season w salt an pepper to taste.

When serving, top buckwheat kasha with kale, and then mushrooms and onions. Season with the hot sauce of your choice, and dig in.

Next Ingredient: Pork Chops, tenderloin or cut of your choosing 

Honored Contributor

PORK CHOP CASSEROLE

4 pork chops

4 med/lg cooking apples

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter

Trim fat from chops and brown.  Peel, core and slice the apples.  Place apples in casserole dish (9x13").  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Dot with butter.  Place browned pork chops on top.  Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... COCONUT

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuseThanks for the buckwheat (Kasha) recipe! I often add buckwheat flour to my breads, but using the toasted kasha suggests a whole lot of different uses! If I can get my hands on it this weekend, I'm going to try your recipe. Love incorporating kale into my dishes as well! Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

This recipe was shared by @DiAnne back in 2016.

I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it...it is a KEEPER!

PINEAPPLE COCONUT CORNBREAD

1 cup flour
1-1/8 cup med-grind cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1-1/4 t kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups fresh corn or frozen thawed
1 packed cup crushed canned pineapple, drained
1/4 cup creme fraiche
4 oz grated cheddar cheese
Shredded unsweetened coconut to garnish

Preheat oven 375 F.         

Grease and flour a 2-quart baking dish

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Beat butter on high.  Add eggs.  Beat well.

Beat in flour mixture on low speed until just combined.

Stir in corn, drained pineapple, creme fraiche and grated cheese.

Bake about 30 minutes.

Pile a generous amount of shredded coconut on top and bake at 400F several additional minutes until lightly toasted.

DiAnne's notes:

I had to buy a 20 oz can of crushed pineapple for this.  I also used several handfuls of shredded coconut.  Next time I will use more.  

NEXT INGREDIENT:

Garbanzo Beans

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@GenXmuseThanks for the buckwheat (Kasha) recipe! I often add buckwheat flour to my breads, but using the toasted kasha suggests a whole lot of different uses! If I can get my hands on it this weekend, I'm going to try your recipe. Love incorporating kale into my dishes as well! Thanks again!

You are most welcome! Thank you for letting me know and hope you can find some. If all else fails I always check Amazon and have found hard to find ingredients. 🌸😊

Next Ingredient: GARBANZO BEANS

Respected Contributor

Tachini CHICKPEA Burgers

2 cups mashed CHICKPEAS(Garbanzo Beans),3/4 cup diced red onion,1 small grated zucchini, 3 tbsp lemon juice,  tsp lemon zest, 3 tbsp tachini, 1 cup oats, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tsp evoo, 1 tbsp mustard, 2 tsps hot sauce, 2 tsps each of onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, bread crumbs or any crackers you prefer(crushed).

Mix all ingredients together and make 8 or 9 patties. Place patties in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before frying. Place each patty in bread crumbs. Cook the patties about 8-10 minutes, each side. 

Next Ingredient: CHESTNUTS

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse Good recipe for Kasha. There is a recipe called Kasha Varnishkes that has Kasha, onions, bow ties and it calls for fat but I use olive oil or a substitute butter. I like the kale additive. I'm going to try adding the kale next time.👍

Honored Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

@GenXmuse Good recipe for Kasha. There is a recipe called Kasha Varnishkes that has Kasha, onions, bow ties and it calls for fat but I use olive oil or a substitute butter. I like the kale additive. I'm going to try adding the kale next time.👍

Thank you @Coquille

I’ve heard of Kasha Varnishes, I’ll have to pin it. Great ingredient to suggest. Are you of Russian descent at all? 🌸💐

Valued Contributor

Old Farmer's Almanac (Yankee Magazine) Roasted Chestnut and Mushroom Soup

3 cups roasted, peeled chestnuts, divided

4 tablespoons salted butter (divided)

1 small onion, chopped fine

1 carrot, peeled and diced

1/2 tsp dried thyme

4-1/2 cups chicken stock

11/2 cups heavy or light cream

Kosher or sea salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 cup fresh (or reconstituted dried) wild mushrooms, such as porcini, black trumpet, or chanterelle

Instructions

Cut an "x" in bottom of each nut.  Toss chestnuts with salt, pepper and 1/3 cup of canola oil (or  if you don't have canola, use olive oil).  Spread chestnuts on baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees until tender (25-35 minutes),  Return chesnuts to bowl, toss, and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Cool and Peel.

Chop chestnuts and set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until tender, 8–10 minutes.

Add thyme and stir briefly.

Add chicken stock, heavy cream, and 2½ cups chopped chestnuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then simmer 20–25 minutes.

Purée in batches in a blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary.

While soup is simmering, sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter over high heat, until slightly crispy but still tender, 8–10 minutes. Set aside.

Pour soup into bowls. Garnish with the remaining chopped chestnuts and the sauteed mushrooms.

Next ingredient:  sauerkraut

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse No. I love cooking anything and everything. I've been cooking since I was 9. Cooking soothed my soul when my parents got divorced. Cooking ever since. The only thing I don't like is baking vegan desserts. My daughter is vegan and I gave up on vegan desserts. Thank goddess my grandson is not a vegan. He loves it when I make him my peanut butter cup, Reese's candy pcs.,fudgy brownies. Although, since it's just my husband and myself, I don't cook that much anymore. Take care.