Honored Contributor

Now that the Christmas meal is over, what recipes were a great success and what were a no go

[ Edited ]

Now that the dust has settled and most of you (hopefully) are now having a chance to catch your breath and re-group, I was curious about what recipes you made which were well received and which were not so appreciated!  LOL.

I am always looking for new recipes to add to my files for later use --- all kinds --- appetizers, main courses, sides, desserts.  

Thanks so much!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Now that the Christmas meal is over, what recipes were a great success and what were a no go

I made Ree Drummond 's Creamy Rosemary Potatoes. Lots of cheese, cream cheese, butter, and half and half.  They were blah and definitely NOT worth all of the calories. They didn't go over very well at our Christmas buffet dinner. The leftovers were dumped. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Now that the Christmas meal is over, what recipes were a great success and what were a no go

[ Edited ]

My eggnog cupcakes were a HUGE hit and I'll definitely make them next year.

I also made a chocolate dump cake that was mediocre, at best, and I've already deleted it from my Pinterest board.

The Thanksgiving turkey was a waste of time and money. I bought an organic one - it tasted fine, but there were seven people here, including me and only three of us had any turkey at all.  I think I'll make a veggie dish next year.

Contrary to @mac116's review of Ree's rosemary potatoes, I always make her creamy mashed potatoes and everyone loves them. They are quite decadent and I wouldn't make them that way every day, but for an occasion they are wonderful. You can also make them a day or two ahead, which really helps. This is the recipe I use.

Oops.. I need to add something. I made Ina Garten's make ahead gravy and it was a good idea.  I did make more gravy after I cooked the turkey, but it was nice to know I had some already if things should go awry at the last minute.

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

We had Raspberry Overnight French Toast that was to die for. Will definitely make it again & add it to the menu for a brunch we give. We are traveling home from our son's so can't post it now. But would be glad to, if anyone would like it.

Also tried @luvsbulldogs "Chex" Mix with the Crispix & white chocolate chips from the Homemade Snack Mix thread. Oh, my, what an addictive snack! Very well received by all ages! Dh took it to an office get together & the "leftovers" went to our kids. This will be added to my Christmas goodies list. Thanks @luvsbulldogs.

The recipe I will drop or re-work is a Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bar. It is something I have made for years & is requested by my dils. It uses a roll of refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough & they have changed the formulation of both the name brand & store brand. I ended up throwing out two batches where the crust burned to a crisp in less time than it usually baked (name & store brands). The third batch I reduced the temp, time & pan size. The crust was crumbly & the cheesecake didn't stick to part of the crust. The only thing I could think of was they have eliminated the trans fats. I may try making them with a homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses butter. 

Honored Contributor

Everything we had was pretty good but cold. We had dinner at our house this year. The in-laws lost power so had to finish things here hence the cold dinner. 5000 people lost power from the high winds in the middle of cooking their dinners. 

Honored Contributor

My husband and daughters voted on lasagna for the 23rd, a spiral ham, meatballs, deviled eggs, potato salad and broccoli casserole for the 24th.   Leftovers for the above yesterday, although the majority of our time was spent away from home.   

I would have much rather had a simple hamburger; no interest in a big meal on Christmas Day.    

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My eggnog cupcakes were a HUGE hit and I'll definitely make them next year.

I also made a chocolate dump cake that was mediocre, at best, and I've already deleted it from my Pinterest board.

The Thanksgiving turkey was a waste of time and money. I bought an organic one - it tasted fine, but there were seven people here, including me and only three of us had any turkey at all.  I think I'll make a veggie dish next year.

Contrary to @mac116's review of Ree's rosemary potatoes, I always make her creamy mashed potatoes and everyone loves them. They are quite decadent and I wouldn't make them that way every day, but for an occasion they are wonderful. You can also make them a day or two ahead, which really helps. This is the recipe I use.

Oops.. I need to add something. I made Ina Garten's make ahead gravy and it was a good idea.  I did make more gravy after I cooked the turkey, but it was nice to know I had some already if things should go awry at the last minute.

@house_catI just always love turkey and dressing, especially having enough leftovers for several days plus sandwiches!  My family has never had a problem with it either!

Honored Contributor

The tomato pie with gruyere and spieces is the most beloved Christmas recipe in this family!

No matter what we have, we'll have that.  Plus reheats great!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat,I'd like to know which gravy you liked better if you don't mind.

Honored Contributor

Didn't cook or host but noticed both our family parties had meals containing sauerkraut.  One with kielbasa and the other with meatballs.