Honored Contributor

Not really a "recipe"

[ Edited ]

I made two mistakes that turned out to be quite tasty!

Mistake 1

I use rice wine vinegar for a tomato, onion and cucumber salad that is delicious.  Last time I bought the vinegar, I inadvertently  bought the "seasoned" version of the vinegar.  Bottles looked the same - I just grabbed one off the shelf w/o reading the label. (Turns out  I actually prefer the "seasoned" version.)

Mistake 2

A few weeks ago - I was making lunch .... the tomato/onion/cucumber salad and avocado toast.   Bowls were next to each other on the counter.

I usually put a "squirt"of lime juice in my mashed avocado (along with some other tasty stuff). 

Got the vinegar out of the cabinet and w/o thinking - poured a bit into the mashed avocado bowl rather than the salad. So, I skipped adding the lime juice.

Result:

The avocado tasted fantastic! 

This morning I made avocado toast for breakfast and just add  the vinegar, a pinch of salt and  a few "grinds" of Italian seasoning ....DELICIOUS 

Respected Contributor

I love acid in my food and your "mistakes" sound delicious! 

Ill remember rice wine vinegar as i ususlly grab appke cider vinegar out of my cupboard when i dont have lemon or lime but rice vinegar, yum! Thx!

Respected Contributor

Isn't it great when things like that turn out!  

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBAWho wouldn't like a little extra sugar and salt?   Both your mistakes sound like the perfect uses for your vinegar!  Now I want avocado toast!

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  Did you mention which seasoned vinegar you got? Like teas, I have bottles of vinegar in my cupboard, and one more won't hurt!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

It's Nakano Rice Vinegar (seasoned Mild & Sweet).  There are a lot of flavored vinegars, but I don't know if all grocers carry them.  

------------------------------------------

@Harpa wrote:

@ALRATIBA  Did you mention which seasoned vinegar you got? Like teas, I have bottles of vinegar in my cupboard, and one more won't hurt!

Honored Contributor

Those were tasty mistakes.

Honored Contributor

After all these years, this is exactly how I like to cook; take things you like, put it together and see what you get.  Trial and error cooking.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @ALRATIBA  for reminding me about seasoned rice vinegar. I love to keep an array of vinegars to spike the flavor in just about anything I cook. Bought some today. Now my vinegar collection is pretty complete, but there is always room for more......