Contributor

I have recently tried making the timeless classic aka Sheppard Pie using cauliflower puree instead of mashed potato. It turned out even better than the original, and now I'm always replacing mashed potato with cauliflower puree in all my recipes. I find it tasting very similar but being lighter and smoother in texture not to mention so much healthier than potato puree. Has anyone tried it before? What are your thought on this?

Ingredients

• 1. Remove outer leaves and core of cauliflower. Trim and cut into florets. Place in large saucepan and add about 1 inch of water. Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat and cook for about 15 min until cauliflower is very tender
  • 2. Drain cauliflower and place into a food processor or blender (do it in batches if necessary). Briefly process, add grated Parmesan cheese and butter. Continue processing until smooth. Add salt and pepper
  • 3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
  • 4. In a large frying pan heat oil or butter, add the mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until moisture evaporates and they become golden brown
  • 5. Remove from the pan and reserve
  • 6. In the same pan sauté onions until soft (about 10-15 minutes)
  • 7. Add carrots and celery and sauté for another 10 minutes
  • 8. Add ground beef to pan and sauté until brown
  • 9. Season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and thyme
  • 10. Stir in the broth, and once it's incorporated add the salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and reserved mushrooms
  • 11. Pour the beef mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
  • 12. Spread mashed cauliflower on top
  • 13. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes

Recipe Source: Paleontastic.com/Sheppards Pie

Honored Contributor

I have not tried it but have meant to! I have discovered as an adult that cauliflower is not near as gross as it was when I was 8! LOL, it is now one of my favorites! I have saved several recipes using it but haven't really experimented yet.

Thanks very much for posting this! I am going to get going swapping out pots for cauli!

I've also seen where you go more veggie and eliminate the beef by subbing in lots of earthy mushrooms for the meat.

Honored Contributor
I was going to mention the cauliflower if you hadn't. Your recipe looks SUPER!
Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this. I love shepherd's pie but can't eat potatoes anymore. I, too, like pureed cauliflower at this point in my life so I'm super excited to try this!

Contributor

lol..so true, I remember disliking cauliflower as a kid as well. But I think it depends a lot on the way you cook it. I prepared this sheppards pie for my boyfriend and he didn't even realize right away that it was cauliflower puree and not mashed potato Smiley Wink good luck in your experimentation RespectLife, feel free to reach out, I have a few other cauliflower recipes (cauliflower rice being one of them) that changed my world forever haha{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Contributor
On 8/13/2014 redsoxfan said:

Thanks so much for posting this. I love shepherd's pie but can't eat potatoes anymore. I, too, like pureed cauliflower at this point in my life so I'm super excited to try this!

Same here Redsoxfan, I'm trying to stay away from potatoes, and all other empty calories. Try it and let me know how you like itSmiley Wink

Frequent Contributor
I agree - really like cauliflower and like to have it often. However, potatoes are not necessarily empty calories and are nutritious ... Just watch amount re: carbs. As a diabetic, that is a consideration all the time. I would also suggest watching cheese of any kind (parm included) for salt. Why is it that so much that tastes good is "bad?" Lol. Tx for a good recipe Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Thanks much svli! That cauli rice idea seems so interesting! Dang it all, I just gave back the coconut oil someone let me try for makeup removal. Didn't work for me for that, but I should have kept it!

My gram/mom boiled the bajeebers out of all veggies till they were disgusting mush! (Sorry, Mom but it is true) My DH grew up eating vegs that way too. He still likes them mush, but I refuse to cook them that way and hardly EVER boil! Steam, roast, sautee....and voila! These veggies that kept me at the dinner table till 10 pm aren't so bad anymore!

Wegman's has a basting oil with herbs and spices in it. Only a Tablespoon...and anything roasted is delicious! I roast cauliflower with red peppers, diced sweet pots, onions (and any other veg hanging around) w/ the Wegman's basting oil. Add some garlic and when done, a small amount of shredded Parm/Reg cheese on top. Delicious!

Thanks again!

Contributor
On 8/13/2014 june1 said: I agree - really like cauliflower and like to have it often. However, potatoes are not necessarily empty calories and are nutritious ... Just watch amount re: carbs. As a diabetic, that is a consideration all the time. I would also suggest watching cheese of any kind (parm included) for salt. Why is it that so much that tastes good is "bad?" Lol. Tx for a good recipe Smiley Happy

True trueSmiley Wink Some things are ok in moderation I guess. When it comes to potato though, I'm not a big fan, I would rather have sweet potato than regular.

Contributor
On 8/14/2014 RespectLife said:

Thanks much svli! That cauli rice idea seems so interesting! Dang it all, I just gave back the coconut oil someone let me try for makeup removal. Didn't work for me for that, but I should have kept it!

My gram/mom boiled the bajeebers out of all veggies till they were disgusting mush! (Sorry, Mom but it is true) My DH grew up eating vegs that way too. He still likes them mush, but I refuse to cook them that way and hardly EVER boil! Steam, roast, sautee....and voila! These veggies that kept me at the dinner table till 10 pm aren't so bad anymore!

Wegman's has a basting oil with herbs and spices in it. Only a Tablespoon...and anything roasted is delicious! I roast cauliflower with red peppers, diced sweet pots, onions (and any other veg hanging around) w/ the Wegman's basting oil. Add some garlic and when done, a small amount of shredded Parm/Reg cheese on top. Delicious!

Thanks again!

RespectLife, my mouth was watering as I was reading your post! Those roasted vegetables sounds really good. I've never tried Wegman's oil but I just googled it and it has great reviews. Thanks for the tip!