Respected Contributor
Reading this thread made me add items to my list. I love one pot meals and am really a fan of using condensed soups. I know some can't,and some turn up their nose ...I think they are delicious in casseroles and stews.
Esteemed Contributor

birkin, simmer sauces are a great substitute for condensed soups!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 BaileyBop said:

For those of you who need less salt I found this recipe for the onion soup mix.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dry-onion-soup-mix/

That is such a great tip, BaileyBop...thank you!

HonnyBrown, would you mind telling me what 'simmer sauces' are?

TIA

Super Contributor

Haven't tried this yet, but it reminds me of an old Peg Bracken recipe from her "I Hate to Cook" book (circa 1970's) called Stay in Bed Stew. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it consisted of layers of sliced onions, sliced carrots, sliced potatoes (maybe some celery, too), stew meat and cream of whatever soup (which, BTW, one can purchase in low sodium format now) in a casserole dish which is then covered and put in the oven at 275 for 6 hours or so. This was before everyone had crockpots - maybe before anyone had crockpots - but I loved it.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/5/2014 RespectLife said:
On 11/4/2014 BaileyBop said:

For those of you who need less salt I found this recipe for the onion soup mix.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dry-onion-soup-mix/

That is such a great tip, BaileyBop...thank you!

HonnyBrown, would you mind telling me what 'simmer sauces' are?

TIA

Bailey, thank you!

Respect, a simmer sauce is a cooking sauce. Most markets, including BJ's, carry them.

Simmer Sauce

TJs Marsala

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Had No Peek for dinner tonight, we all loved it!! Again, thank you Lilbit!!

Frequent Contributor

This may be a silly question, but where do you buy campbell's chicken mushroom soup? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Trusted Contributor

colliegirls...hiii It is so good to see you dear!

cece..hi sweetie. It is great to see you. Ty dear for your kind words. I am happy you enjoy my recipes. It feels good to be back.

RespectLife...Hi sweetie. YAY!! so happy you liked it! I use the golden mush room alot too. Hugs to you gf...tc

ambermoon....hi..good to see you. I am so glad you liked it. Thanks for your feedback about using the crockpot!

tesspoodle...H sweetie!! soooo good to see you dear lady! LOL chuckling about the folder! I am just happy you enjoy my recipes. Most all the recipes I post have been in my family for years. Now that most of my family are gone, I want to keep the recipes in circulation. What better way to do than here! My plea

sure to share dear lady.

colliegirls.....Hi again dear lady. YAY!! I love it when ppl like it! TY dear lady for letting me know!

ceh.....this is an old recipe, and to be honest I dont know if they even still make it. I will generally use mushroom or cream of chicken...or even mix the two together. Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor
That Trader Joe's Masala simmer sauce is one of my favorite things. I put it over steamed (ziploc steam microwave bags)cauliflower,or tofu,or chicken...or steamed cauliflower and chicken. I use canned Costco chicken a lot for a quick meal. I add frozen green peas at the end. I never dilute this (ignore directions!) I can even eat this cold...so good.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/5/2014 ceh said:

This may be a silly question, but where do you buy campbell's chicken mushroom soup? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Cream of Chicken Mushroom is usually near the Cream of Mushroom soup cans in the grocery store. I use it in many casserole recipes.