Trusted Contributor

Nieman Marcus cookies- anyone make them?

[ Edited ]

I’m getting ready to make these for the cookie table at my son’s wedding Friday. The recipe calls for butter but whenever I use butter it seems the cookies get hard. If I were keeping them here I just put a slice of bread in the container with them. But I have to drop them off at the wedding venue on Thursday & they are going to tray the cookies. I’d like to substitute margarine for the butter but not sure if that would cause any problems. Has anyone made this recipe with margarine? And were the cookies soft the next day or two?I know there’s other things that can cause cookies to be hard but for me it always seems to be the recipes with butter. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nieman Marcus cookies- anyone make them?

I had a small party at our house and made cookies using half butter and half I can't believe it's not butter sticks.  the cookies seemed to rise better and stayed soft for a few days, and tasted delicious. I did store them in my Locl & Lock containers.

Trusted Contributor

Using brown sugar instead of white sugar helps.

Also half butter (for taste) and half veg. shortening (for softness).

Honored Contributor

Too much flour will cause a drier cookie. Spoon it in the cup or measure it on a scale.

Over cooking or cooking in an oven that's too hot will cause a drier cookie.

You can try adding a little extra butter to make a more tender cookie.

Brown sugar will give you a moist chewy cookie where sugar will give a crisper cookie with more spread.

Hope they turn out good. Sounds yummy. Have not had homemade cookies in I don't know when.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.....are you saying the white sugar can be substituted for brown sugar in a recipe?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Nightowlz.....are you saying the white sugar can be substituted for brown sugar in a recipe?

@Mom2Dogs Kind of depends on what you are making. Brown sugar used in baked goods like banana bread will leave you with a more moist bread then if you used white sugar because of the molasses in it. You may have to decrease the wet or increase the dry ingredients. 

I use half white half brown sugar when I make cookies.

I still use white sugar in cakes.

Respected Contributor

@Tribesters  I heard many years ago that a lady once asked Neimas Marcus for the recipe for their cookes and after they gave it to her they ended up charging her $50 for the recipe so she shared it with the world.  I wonder if that story is true. 

I've never made them, but homemade cookies sound wonderful about now.  

Maybe I'll make some tomorrow, along with my copycat recipe for Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars - yum, yum.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters

I have not made the recipe you are referring to but will tell you that margarine has a higher water content-it very well make a huge difference in the outcome of you cookie.  If you are concerned, you may want to try a batch or two ahead of time, substituting margarine or shortening for the butter.  For me, there is nothing like the taste of real butter in baking or cooking.  Can't remember the last time I bought margarine-probably at least 2-3 decades ago.  I know there are blends on the market now but I made a resolve to use real ingredients in cooking/baking.  If your recipe calls for margarine, then make it that way.  If it calls for butter and you substitute, you may not be happy with the end result.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Tribesters  I heard many years ago that a lady once asked Neimas Marcus for the recipe for their cookes and after they gave it to her they ended up charging her $50 for the recipe so she shared it with the world.  I wonder if that story is true. 

I've never made them, but homemade cookies sound wonderful about now.  

Maybe I'll make some tomorrow, along with my copycat recipe for Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars - yum, yum.  

@CAcableGirl2...No, this is an urban legend and is not true.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown