Respected Contributor

New study (from Italy) says pasta not fattening

[ Edited ]

This story about the Mediterranean diet and pasta  has been appearing everywhere in one form or another.  I guess some consideration should be given to the fact that  it comes from researchers in the pasta capital of the world.  (Maybe with a grain of skepticism?)  

https://www.today.com/health/don-t-skip-spaghetti-new-study-says-pasta-not-fattening-t100515

Trusted Contributor

Re: New study (from Italy) says pasta not fattening

I believe that pasta can be a part of a healthy Mediterrean diet.  The problem is with the SIZE of the portion most Americans eat. When we eat in authentic Italian restaurants, the portion size is around 1/2 cup of pasta. Not being critical here.  I love pasta, and can (and have) eaten a plateful on many, many occasions while at home.

Respected Contributor

“NOTHING” is fattening if eaten in moderation. We need to understand portion control. A little of everything and moderate exercise. No fast fix diet is going to work long term.
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness...we love pasta and try to eat it occasionally only,but now I don’t need to feel so guilty.

Respected Contributor

Am I dreaming?

Honored Contributor

Our portions is it, I agree with the other poster.  Trouble is, so many of us, have gone beyond that.  I now, am looking at any time I eat, as a meal.  I may want a little something around dinner time, but not a real dinner as it use to be. So I consider that I have 5 mini meals a day,  In truth, it is more true than anything else.  No wonder "diets" don't work, if you have to mini meal (starvation type) then when you lose and want to feel normal again, you return to old habits, that's why.  But if we change the labels we put on what and when we eat, (for me anyway) if it's 5 mini meals, it just makes more sense.  We label so many things in life.  We need to re-label. JMHO

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've known that for decades now.  It's about portion control and what sauces I add to it, but I've used pasta even when I'm working at losing weight, not just maintaining as I am right now.  Same with potatoes, bread, rice.  I like carbs and they like me as long as I use them in controlled portions.

Honored Contributor

The serving size is 1/2 cup not very much, no wonder its not fattening...who eats 1/2 cup?

Honored Contributor

@cherryDepends -  sometimes I do!  I almost always want a carb with my evening meal, but I do limit myself if I've eaten carbs for breakfast and/or lunch.

I know lots of people laugh at the old WW program in which we weighed and measured, but having done that successfully in the 1960's, when I'm eating the way I should I eat more or less those old portions but without weighing and measuring so much.

Truth be told, all the excess pounds I've carried over the years came from food I probably shouldn't have been eating in any portion -  is there a safe amount of Cheese Doodles?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I don't eat things like that so ,I don't know, But when we eat Italian ,my slim husbands serving ,is always more than 1/2 cup

I don't thinik 1/2 cup will hold many people for 6 hrs