Trusted Contributor

Re: New recipe I tried..Cowboy Cookies

@dancingwoman wrote:

Today I tried a new recipe...DH said fantastic!!

Do a search for Taste of Home Laura Bush’s Cowboy Cookies...

It makes a lot of BIG cookies...I froze half...I was able to fit 6 per sheet pan...DW

Thank you dancingwoman,  I look forward to making these for my grandchildren when it cools off here in Az.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz   The recipe made 42 BIG cookies...DH said instead of eating 2 he’ll eat one...lol....DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Nightowlz   The recipe made 42 BIG cookies...DH said instead of eating 2 he’ll eat one...lol....DW

@dancingwoman 

Looks like it would be around 2 hrs cooking time for 7 batches of 6 cookies per cookie sheet.

I will have to wait for it to cool off a bit before I try them. Suppose to be around 100° today but already feels like 100° with the humidity. Tomorrow it's suppose to be 104°.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  Remove them and add in all chocolate chips OR M&M's and chocolate chips OR all M &M's OR whatever other items you add.

I've made these when my older two where in grade school. It was a private school and they allowed home backed items for birthday and all holiday parties plus we had a bake sale twice a year: these were my bake sale items. No nuts or coconut because many don't care for either (or are allergic) but chocolate and M & M's? OH YEAH.

Also, I don't make these as large as it shows; I reduce it by at least 50%...makes a LOT of cookies. 

I'm always looking for a better "base" for chocolate chip cookies. This is good but not great. I have had them with all of the called for ingredients and it's REALLY good. : )

Honored Contributor

These and the Doubletree Hotel cookies and Tate's Bakery choc chip (buy these!) are my favorites next to my aunt's cookies!  

Foolprool living has a recipe that seems to match the Doubletree ones.

Once we went to an away ballgame and stayed at a Doubletree.  We came back, hot and tired and mad (we lost) and NO cookies!

So I went down to the desk and said "WHERE are my cookies?  I've been to that stupid game and we came back and there are NO cookies!"

Just so happened the manager was at the desk, and he said "That's awful!"  So we traipsed into the catering area, maid's supply area and a couple of others and NO cookies.  I said, hey that's ok I won't die and he said no, you counted on those cookies!  

So he went back, got more keys and broke into the gift shop and got me a whole tin.  Thirty years at least later I still have that tin!  He made a rotten day into a funny memory.

When I got back to the room my husband was delighted and said "Did you have to BAKE them? "  I said "ALMOST!"

Esteemed Contributor

The Cowboy Cookies were Laura Bush's submission to Family Circle's bake off in 2000.  The contest started in 1992, and Hillary Clinton won the first two times with an oatmeal chocolate chip recipe.  It won the third time in 2016 when it was submitted as the Clinton Family recipe.  Here is the 3-time winner if anyone would like to try:

The Clinton Family's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup solid vegetable shortening

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

2 cups rolled old-fashioned oats

1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two large baking sheets.

Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.

In a large bowl, beat together the shortening, sugars, and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy.  Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden.  Cool cookies on sheets on wire racks for two minutes.  Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

The contest has also featured chocolate chip cookies from Barbara Bush (without oatmeal) and star shaped cookies from Melania Trump.  I like to check out the recipes each time, but I've never voted for any.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband loves Cowboy Cookies, but he prefers my SIL's recipe.  I made Mrs. Bushs' recipe for years until he tasted this crispier cookie.  I think it bakes into a flatter cookie without the baking powder:

1 cup room-temperature butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup  white sugar

1 tbsp milk

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 cup crushed corn flakes

2 1/2 cups quick oats

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut

1 cup chopped nuts

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.  Beat in milk, vanilla, and eggs.  Stir in corn flakes and oatmeal by hand.  Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.  Stir in coconut, nuts, and chocolate chips.

Place tablespoon-sized balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees until lightly-golden around the edges, about 10-12 minutes.

Trusted Contributor

Wow more recipes to try....he’s gotta eat these up first though....thx...DW

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Can you put the recipe here?

Guess she could not put the recipe on the board....  @dancingwoman - Was it too much trouble??????

Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Can you put the recipe here?

Guess she could not put the recipe on the board....  @dancingwoman - Was it too much trouble??????

The recipe was posted within seven minutes of it being requested. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky