Respected Contributor

Re: New recipe I tried..Cowboy Cookies

@ID2 wrote:

Can you put the recipe here?

@ID2   Since @dancingwoman apparently did not intend to copy the recipe here for you, I thought I would:

Laura Bushs Cowboy Cookie Recipe

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
How to Make It
Step 1

Heat oven to 350 degree F.

Step 2

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.

Step 3

In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars to combine, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.

Step 4

Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.

Step 5

For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.

Step 6

Bake in 350 degree F oven 17 to 20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies to rack to cool.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Can you put the recipe here?

Guess she could not put the recipe on the board....  @dancingwoman - Was it too much trouble??????

The recipe was posted within seven minutes of it being requested. 

@mom2four0418   All I know is the original poster replied to other posts/questions and did not post the recipe...  No need to reprimand me...

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I was okay until I got to the last three ingredients:  rolled oats, flaked coconut, and pecans.  I don't care for any of them, especially in cookies.

@ValuSkr 

I've been thinking about your above statement.   Do you suppose you could put the oats in a food processor or  blender until it became oat flour?  As far as the coconut and pecans, I would think you could substitute caramel bits, toffee bits, M&M's, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, etc.   For the pecans, you could substitute another nut that you prefer or if you don't like nuts in your cookies at all, continue with the above list of substitutions.   Maybe someone has other suggestions.  My hesistation is the oat flour-I think you need something that acts kind of like a binder and while you don't care for oats, oat flour might be less offensive.   You may even be able to add more AP flour but not sure it should be cup for cup.  Again maybe someone else has an idea.   

To the OP-thanks for sharing this recipe-I knew I had seen something like this in the past but the closest I could get were recipes for Monster Cookies but those usually don't contain coconut.   Hey @ValuSkr - google Monster Cookies-they might be more up your alley and yet similiar to these, too!

Trusted Contributor

@KatieB  Just wondering did u read the whole thread...the recipe was kindly posted by another poster...I was cleaning the kitchen and by the time I got back it was already here...I saw no need to repost the recipe..Geesh.....DW

Super Contributor

I first tried these when George W. was president. I gave some to my Democrat neighbor, and he tried them and said he may switch to Republican. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Well thank you all for the recipe and variations.  I have two upcoming occasions for which I need to bake.  With the rave reviews I think I will include these.  I am not much of a baker and would enjoy getting some compliments.

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@KatieB  Just wondering did u read the whole thread...the recipe was kindly posted by another poster...I was cleaning the kitchen and by the time I got back it was already here...I saw no need to repost the recipe..Geesh.....DW

Thanks for reminding me of this recipe I love Cowboy Cookies almost as much as I love Texas!!.  Recipe posted and copied out pages back.  Thanks again @dancingwoman and @Nightowlz 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Here’s a pic of the cookie...crispy outside chewy inside...I didn’t have quite enough pecans so I subbed sliced almonds for about 1/2 cup of the pecans...DW

Cookie

Trusted Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

Here’s a pic of the cookie...crispy outside chewy inside...I didn’t have quite enough pecans so I subbed sliced almonds for about 1/2 cup of the pecans...DW

Cookie

Looks so delicious- love the pic! 
⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@dancingwoman I have made these many times, they are very good