Honored Contributor

New grilled cheese sandwiches

Just watching Joy Bauer on Today, she was doing pumped up grilled sandwiches.  First was peanut butter and real fruit, like halved grapes.  Then one I missed part of, made like fench toast with ham, cheese and something else.  Then something with tunafish that I missed, I'd do tuna and cheese, then grilled.  Just go to Today Food to get the quick lesson on these.  It really gave me some ideas.

Honored Contributor

Re: New grilled cheese sandwiches

Thin sliced crisp apple is also delicious in a grilled cheese sandwich.  

Esteemed Contributor

Brie cheese and fig spread make a decadent & tasty grilled cheese sandwich.

Gruyere and grilled onions is yummy.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

I can't remember the last time I made a plain grilled cheese sandwich, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! DH and I love cheese, so I always have a variety of slices in the refrig (Havarti, Muenster, Provolone, Swiss, etc). Add some deli meat and specialty mustards, or several different types of cheese and spread some sweet/hot pepper and onion relish, or spicy pineapple/Jalapeno, or fresh tomato, sliced onion and mozzarella or provolone.

My dad's specialty when I was growing up was a grilled Reuben and also grilled peanut butter and several kinds of cheese! Be creative!

Respected Contributor

My perfect grilled cheese sandwich is with American cheese, Smoked Provolone cheese, Bacon and sliced tomatoes grilled on white Artisan bread.  On my way to make one now!  

Valued Contributor

When I was in high school we would walk to a drive in for lunch and for 45 cents you got a great grilled cheese and they always put lettuce, tomato and mayo on theirs. I still make mine that way and think of high school days. Also split hot dogs, fried and served on a hamburger bun. Another memory.

Super Contributor

I love grilled cheese on rye bread with either bacon or ham.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

and don't forget the tomato soup to go along!

Honored Contributor

I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich in years.  Once, out of cheese slices, I used grated cheddar.  OH MY!  what a yummy sandwich!!!!