Honored Contributor

New Year’s Eve - Cuisine Ideas - Fondue? Small Plate Goodies?

We have decided to not attend a large NYE party, and instead will be home. 

Thinking about what food to purchase/prepare - 4 adults + 4 kids

I have several Fondue pots/accessories. Maybe a cheese appetizer fondue and a chocolate dessert fondue. With either crab or grilled steaks as main course

8B5DB005-9F13-48B7-A68B-831D1D6AF2B8.jpeg8C605162-BD61-42B0-9BA7-626DD93392F3.jpeg

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: New Year’s Eve - Cuisine Ideas - Fondue? Small Plate Goodies?

Please share your plans/ideas for your NYE 

It's been several years since I've made fondue, need to find recipes. Please share your recipes & suggestions 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Debbie Downer here. With Covid Omicron booming, I'd skip fondue since everyone is placing their utensils in the same pot. I love fondue, both for its flavor and for its sociability, but now may not be the time for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Debbie Downer here. With Covid Omicron booming, I'd skip fondue since everyone is placing their utensils in the same pot. I love fondue, both for its flavor and for its sociability, but now may not be the time for sharing.

@Vivian - oh, I do understand. That's why we made a change in our plans. Will be just close family at home for Plan B. 

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy - wishing you a Happy New Year @Vivian 

Honored Contributor

Theres also mini meatballs you dip in a mixture of Heinz Chili Sauce and Welch's Concord grape jelly that you heat until melting on the stove. Recipe is easy and delicious.  

Honored Contributor

cheese and meat board

crackers

fruit apples or grapes

wine

and a dessert

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Theres also mini meatballs you dip in a mixture of Heinz Chili Sauce and Welch's Concord grape jelly that you heat until melting on the stove. Recipe is easy and delicious.  

Thank you @Mindy D  I have a mini crock pot that can hold the meatball sauce, great idea! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Slice up some precooked kielbasa for dipping in a honey mustard or bbq dauce. Same with some ham chunks. Use some Little Smokies, plain, or wrapped and prebaked Pilsbury cresents for dipping too.

Some precooked steak chunks if you want to get fancy. Dip in hollandaise, bernaise, teriyaki, you get the picture.

?for dipping in a mushroom and merlot cream sauce you make on the stove. Sorry I cant remember evetything I put in mine. I make the sauce for pork chops. I know i add a very scant trsp of granulated chicken bouillion and I think a scant tsp or less of beef better than bouillion and some soy sauce. I use two pkgs. of mushrooms. I use heavy cream . I saute the meat in olive oil withh a dot of butter. I can't remember if i add garlic, shallot or onion. I saute the mushrooms before i add the sauce ingredients. I remove the meat while i do the sauce and then teturn the meat at the end. 

Honored Contributor

Will pick up some champagne and mini bottles of non alcoholic bubbly

48410FB9-E429-4721-B1F7-2E8D796829CC.jpeg

9DF110ED-AE4A-417A-82D5-8F9392733B63.jpeg

Valued Contributor

My husband I had fondue on our frist NYE together -- which started a tradition.  We have done that every NYE for the last 34 years -- and really look forward to it.