Honored Contributor

Re: New Year’s Eve - Cuisine Ideas - Fondue? Small Plate Goodies?

Just two of us at home for New Year's Eve. I'll probably set out:

Mini meatballs in sauce

Cheese and crackers

Grapes/oranges

Veggie Pizza (a cold appetizer made on a Pillsbury Crescent Roll base)

Christmas candy/cookies

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Just two of us at home for New Year's Eve. I'll probably set out:

Mini meatballs in sauce

Cheese and crackers

Grapes/oranges

Veggie Pizza (a cold appetizer made on a Pillsbury Crescent Roll base)

Christmas candy/cookies

Same here!  just 3 of us, including our dog Smiley Happy  I always forget about that veggie pizza and haven't had that in years.  It's always so good!

Respected Contributor

Great menu @AuntG. We love that crescent dough cold pizza too. Just 3 of us will be celebrating together. Will also make cocktail sausages in grape jelly & chili sauce. Million dollar dip, taco dip with veggies & chips.

Happy & Healthy 2022 to all!
💥🎆🎇
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The fondue we used to enjoy in the 70s and 80s was cut-up tender beef chunks dipped in simmering oil, then dipped in various sauces.  My favorite sauce was the horseradish type.

A simpler fondue is preferable, I think.

Trader Joe's in the past, and maybe now, sells a heat-and-eat fondue blend of Swiss Emmenthal  and Gruyere cheeses.

It also contains kirsch (dry clear brandy made from cherries) and some savory spices.

If a fondue pot won't be used, this can be microwaved and served in rounded ceramic dishes that hold heat well, so the fondue will remain "dippable".

Recommended to be served with crusty bread cubes, cooked ham, sliced sausage, cut veggies.

We were served this once at a neighbor's party.........it was great.

Regular Contributor

One more easy appetizer.....

Marinara Sauce with Baked Cheese

8 ozs. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, cubed

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

2 cups chunky Marinara Sauce

Baguette slices

Heat oven to 350.  Place cheese in shallow 2 quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle with basil.  Spoon marinara sauce around cheese.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.  Serve with baguette slices. 

Respected Contributor

Can we stand another appetizer idea?  

I knew one couple who were coming to a potluck appetizer/dessert party  were vegetarians..   I took meatballs to the party, but for the vegetarians, I did appetizer 101.

Spread a cracker with Boursin or Alouette herbed creamy cheese.  On top, place half a mini-tomato with cut side down on the cheese.

I actually had one of the vegetarians tell me how good those were.

To be honest, they probably couldn't find much else that they could eat that night. but I was glad all my food got eaten up.

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

Debbie Downer here. With Covid Omicron booming, I'd skip fondue since everyone is placing their utensils in the same pot. I love fondue, both for its flavor and for its sociability, but now may not be the time for sharing.

@Vivian - oh, I do understand. That's why we made a change in our plans. Will be just close family at home for Plan B. 

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy - wishing you a Happy New Year @Vivian 

You could use the wooden long skewers for each dipping.  They are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and you can toss after each dip.  I would recommend soaking in water for an hour.   

Honored Contributor

THANK YOU 🙏 ☺️🤗  for sharing and your suggestions! I'm going to review this again for Super Bowl weekend ideas. 

Happy New Year 🎊🍾🥂 May we all be blessed with Good Health, Grateful Hearts 💗 and delicious nom noms 😋 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl - For many years, decades actually, I have stayed home with my family for New Year's Eve. Nothing to do with COVID, of course, as I have done this for years by choice, and everything to do with all of the drunk drivers on the road with whom I truly do not want to share the road. My daughter has a friend who has a New Year's Eve birthday, and she has a slumber party at her home every year, so now I must drive my daughter there early in the day and pick her up the next morning. Even driving at 3 pm on New Year's Eve makes me nervous. Picking her up at 9 am the next morning is fine, as most people are sleeping off their hangovers and are not on the road at that time.

That being said, I do have one tradition.  In addition to a nice dinner (selected by family members jointly) I make "pigs in the blanket" the way my mother used to make them.

I wrap Sabrett mini hot dogs in Pillsbury crescent dough.  We don't enjoy mustard, so we eat them as is. Not a healthy snack, but eating them once a year won't kill us. 

Nobody likes champagne in my family (it actually makes me sick from the bubbles in it so I will not drink it), or drinking alcohol in general, so I just drink red wine with dinner. 

We stay up till midnight and watch the ball drop together. This year, we may play a board game together, just for old times' sake.  On New Year's Day, we watch March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy.  We love that movie.  It just never gets old, even though it is ancient.  

I hope everyone has an enjoyable New Year's celebration! Safe driving for everyone who ventures out to be with friends!

ETA: I LOVE your tag line, by the way!

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl   I would definitely go with your idea of having a fondue party for NYE.  Sounds like fun and it is not the same appetizers and cheese and meat boards that are served all the time.  Hope you have a festive night and Happy Near Year!