Regular Contributor

Re: New Year’s Eve - Cuisine Ideas - Fondue? Small Plate Goodies?

[ Edited ]

@Chi-town girl ....my DH and I love fondue and have been doing it for 47 years after receiving gift of fondue pot in 70's.  I have only done beef fondue as main course.  I have recipes for dips to go with that.  Cheese fondue and chocolate are terrific as well.  Hopefully, others can share recipes or online sites can help.  We find it a very relaxing way to dine.  

As far as being concerned about Covid, I would not be concerned unless people are eating off same forks put in pot.  We always put meat on fork...into pot..onto plate but eat with fork.  That would work for cheese and chocolate as well...keeping eating tools separate.

We would be doing fondue for NYE but just did it a week ago for DH birthday so I'll have to do something different for NYE.  Enjoy your fondue and Happy New Year!  

Regular Contributor

@Chi-town girl ....Follow-up to my previous post.  I was just looking through my appetizer recipes and realized I have done a cheese fondue ......this is good.

Parmesan Fondue

1 1/2 cups milk

2 (8oz) pkgs. cream cheese, cubed

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1 loaf French Bread, cubed

In large saucepan, cook and stir the milk and cream cheese over low heat until cheese has melted.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; cook and stir until heated through.  Transfer to a fondue pot or mini-slow cooker; keep warm.  Serve with bread cubes.

Honored Contributor

@Qwalker wrote:

@Chi-town girl ....Follow-up to my previous post.  I was just looking through my appetizer recipes and realized I have done a cheese fondue ......this is good.

Parmesan Fondue

1 1/2 cups milk

2 (8oz) pkgs. cream cheese, cubed

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1 loaf French Bread, cubed

In large saucepan, cook and stir the milk and cream cheese over low heat until cheese has melted.  Stir in the Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; cook and stir until heated through.  Transfer to a fondue pot or mini-slow cooker; keep warm.  Serve with bread cubes.

Thank you @Qwalker  adding to my ingredients shopping list 😋

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Slice up some precooked kielbasa for dipping in a honey mustard or bbq dauce. Same with some ham chunks. Use some Little Smokies, plain, or wrapped and prebaked Pilsbury cresents for dipping too.

Some precooked steak chunks if you want to get fancy. Dip in hollandaise, bernaise, teriyaki, you get the picture.

?for dipping in a mushroom and merlot cream sauce you make on the stove. Sorry I cant remember evetything I put in mine. I make the sauce for pork chops. I know i add a very scant trsp of granulated chicken bouillion and I think a scant tsp or less of beef better than bouillion and some soy sauce. I use two pkgs. of mushrooms. I use heavy cream . I saute the meat in olive oil withh a dot of butter. I can't remember if i add garlic, shallot or onion. I saute the mushrooms before i add the sauce ingredients. I remove the meat while i do the sauce and then teturn the meat at the end. 

@Mindy D - Oh, my!!! That mushroom sauce sounds Amazing 😻 

You triggered a memory of a crock pot mushroom dish that was a big hit at a pot luck dinner from a couple years ago. I will post the recipe on a separate thread - some crock pot lovers may want to try it

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Don't forget dessert:

10 oz semisweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup cream

1 tsp vanilla

Stir chocolate, milk, and cream in saucepan over low heat until smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Keep warm in small slow cooker or fondue pot.

Honored Contributor

For years we got together with the same couple always going out to dinner.  Sometimes the other couple would invite another couple to join us, which was fine since they had planned the evening.

Then we would go back to their home to watch ****** Clark and the big count down.  

I was always bored but tried to make the best of it.

DH and the other couple tried several "grand hotels" for a dinner and dance which didn't delight anyone but myself.  Oh well, no one but me wants to get dressed up.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Don't forget dessert:

10 oz semisweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup cream

1 tsp vanilla

Stir chocolate, milk, and cream in saucepan over low heat until smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Keep warm in small slow cooker or fondue pot.

Thank you @deepwaterdotter  Definitely chocolate. Thinking I will have ingredients for 2 batches - Wondering if a butterscotch flavor is possible? 

Honored Contributor

We are going to do breaded air-fryer shrimp.   I don't have a recipe so I'll have to look one up!  I'll have smoked oysters if I can find some not from Asia.

Trusted Contributor

I just watched Molly Yei on Girl Meets Farm yesterday make a cheese fondue that looked really easy.  You could probably find the receipe of foodnetwork.com.  It was basicaly just wine and shredded cheese, with some spices.  She rubbed a garlic clove on the inside of her pot to get some flavor.  Her dippers were bread, roasted veggies and roasted grapes.  Looked wonderful!

Honored Contributor

New Years Eve has never been a thing for me---just another day really so I don't plan anything special just normal. Certainly not attending any big bash----that just seems like throwing gas on the covid fire----will stay home and safe.