Respected Contributor

New Food this Weekend

[ Edited ]

Tired of the same ole" same ole" so I made

Ree Drummonds Pizza Pigs in a Blanket

In summary, pizza tube crust cut in rectangles, pizza sauce, mozzerella cheese, red pepper flakes, pepperoni, small cocktail wiener, roll , top with a mixture of parm/italian seasoning and bake.

Excellent       (i used thin crust pizza dough in the tube but I noticed

today there is a regular thickness crust pizza dough also available and I believe that is what she used)

Also, I made Ree's Sheet Pan Mac & Cheese

I made half and it's still enough for about 4-6 people.  She mentions you can also freeze this and reheat.

Excellent    

Both recipes are considered "easy" and for all you first time cooks or maybe some who don't like to cook, crazy easy and goof proof.

Recipes on the Food Networks website under Ree Drummond

I really like when I make new food recipes and they taste good, just hate buying all the ingrediants and it gets tossed.

Also really good, the Chocolate Cherry Cake Bars, devils food cake mix, can of cherry filling, 3 beaten eggs, almond extract,

mix and bake.   I actually bake in a 13x11 pan so its actually a cake and not a bar, increased the time from 35 minutes to about 38 minutes.   Oh so good.    Can be eaten with or without frosting.

Anyone else make anything good?

Honored Contributor

I made my SIL's recipe for shrimp enchiladas for the first time.  They were delicious, but the next time I make them I will substitute lump crab for the shrimp. 

Esteemed Contributor

We order meat from Butcher Box   We always cook the items we never had before first

so tonight was hot dogs  LOL  very good

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

So what makes the Butcher Box meat different than what you can buy from a better grocery store?

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling  please visit their website   If I post it will be poofed

Seafood is wild caught

bacon is Uncured, nitrate free, and sugar free

100% grass-fed, grass-finished beef. Free-range organic chicken. Pork raised crate-free. Wild-caught seafood. No antibiotics

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey 

I realize I can read the website and I have but it's no different than ordering food from one of the "famous" chefs or meat suppliers that sell meat for online shopping channels.  I ordered a rib roast from Kansas City one year and that meat wasn't good, I could of gone to one of our upscale grocery stores who sells angus beef and received something better.

You can tell me all the good things it has but is it good?  Is it worth the price you pay?  Are you happy with everything they offer?

Just asking for a personal opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Food this Weekend

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling@Just Bling   I had 3 paragraphs typed out and lot it all  Woman Sad

@Just Bling wrote:

@Mary Bailey 

I realize I can read the website and I have but it's no different than ordering food from one of the "famous" chefs or meat suppliers that sell meat for online shopping channels.  I ordered a rib roast from Kansas City one year and that meat wasn't good, I could of gone to one of our upscale grocery stores who sells angus beef and received something better.

You can tell me all the good things it has but is it good?  Is it worth the price you pay?  Are you happy with everything they offer?

Just asking for a personal opinion.

sorry! @Just Bling 

we are happy with the purchases.  we order every 8 weeks.  I order the $149 box  so I can choose the cuts of meat.

I get the wild caught salmon every box, and drumsticks and/or wings and steaks every box. and free ground beef that we got when we joined

Very happy with salmon, ground beef, hamburgers, all the steaks, wings and drumsticks, whole chicken, apple goulda sausage, pulled pork and cold cracked lobster meat.

The ony item we did not care for was the morning sausage, we thought it was grissily.  I lke the tender belly bacon better than the thick cut bacon.

I play their pricing game. Every day I see what is on sale, if it's a lower price I put it in the box and delete the higher price item if it's something we want.

We have, but haven't eaten yet: pre-cooked chicken breast, salmon burgers, corned beef and scallops.

If I think of anything else  I'll come back & let you know

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling   Well, not necessarily new, but was good........ Made London Broil on Saturday & Eggplant parm on Sunday. 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling when organizing my pantry, I found a Devil's food cake mix and cherry pie filling. So you mix three beaten eggs with a teaspoon of almond extract and mix in the dry cake mix and pie filling?  Then bake. Just want to be sure I get it right.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Food this Weekendonce

@AuntG wrote:

@Just Bling when organizing my pantry, I found a Devil's food cake mix and cherry pie filling. So you mix three beaten eggs with a teaspoon of almond extract and mix in the dry cake mix and pie filling?  Then bake. Just want to be sure I get it right.

i devils food cake mix

1 21 oz can of cherry pie filling

1 teaspoon almond extract

3 beaten eggs

heat oven 350 deg.  grease and flour, I used 9x13

in a bowl combine all infredients, stir until well blended 

pour into pan  yes the batter is stiff.

use toothpick to check center of cake for doneness.

my 13x9 glass pan takes 37 minutes in my oven but the recipe states

25-35 minutes.      

Tips....if you can avoid it, don't buy Walmarts brand of cherry pie filling, has some kind of a taste that doesn't taste good in this cake

both dunkin hines and pillsbury cake mix work well but i found dunkin hines gets you a higher cake

don't forget to beat your eggs BEFORE adding them to your mixture

Use large eggs at room temperature

i once used a jar of cherry pie filling made by cherries de lite and took some out since it was a 27 oz jar, no good, not enough moisture vs a canned product so I wouldn't advise anything other than a can of pie filling.

i also found out that if i "peaked" opened the oven to look, I know you shouldn't do that, but I did, the cake falls in the center.  The last time I refrained and only looked through the window until the timer was set off and my cake didn't fall.

I made home made white frosting, then I tried it with home made chocolate frosting and with cherry flavored frosting.  Actually the chocolate frosting is the best.  Chcolate frosting with melted down chips or baking chocolate, not a fan of the taste of cocoa powder, but it's what you like.

The recipe is online called Chocolate Cherry Bars by Pillsbury but I made the cake vs a larger pan for bars.  There's a frosting on that recipe too but it's more of a thin glaze than a fluffy buttercream that I put on.

Good for about 5 days stays moist