Respected Contributor

Never made French Macarons, have you made them?

It amazes me when little kids on baking shows can make French Macarons. I have never tried, but if they can, I can.  Searched for recipes online. Your favorite recipe?

What is the best almond flour to buy?

Silpat mat or Parchment paper and printed off circle template.

What size of piping tip?

Any other recipes, sites or tips to share. 

Super Contributor

Re: Never made French Macarons, have you made them?

I have never tried a French Macaron.  A gal that I used to work with went to France and fell in love with them.  She has been experimenting with recipes and posted pictures on Facebook. They look delicious!  Good luck finding the right recipe!!!!

Honored Contributor

This recipes comes from a friend.  I have never made them, but her's are very tasty:

7 oz almond paste

3 egg whites

1 1/4 cups sugar

1/4 cup flour

Mix paste and egg whites in food processor until smooth.  Mix in sugar and flour until thickened and smooth.  Place in pastry bag with plain tip and refrigerate for 1/2 hour to firm up.

Pipe 2-3" rounds on parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake in 325 degree oven 25 minutes until barely golden in color.  Place parchment on lightly damp large kitchen towel for 5 minutes for easy removal.  Remove from parchment to wire rack to completely cool.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Barbarainnc - My first attempt was with a recipe from Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen); it involves grinding your own almond flour, which is really simple, as is the rest of the recipe. I will look up the details and post them when I get home tonight.

Respected Contributor

This traditional French cookie seems to have recently become very popular........or perhaps  I have been blind to them before now.  Seem to see them everywhere lately.

Noticed that Costco was selling them from a refrigerated case yesterday.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

They are really delicious....made in Paris.  These kids are amazing with their culinary skills.  No, I have not made them nor would I attempt to do so.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow,@deepwater, that recipe is different than any other French Macaron recipe I've ever seen or used!  Are you thinking of maybe just plain macaroons?  

I've never used almond paste, or wheat flour and the sugar is always cofectioners (icing) sugar. 

Barbarainnc, here's my best tip -  after piping, they need to sit at room temp for at least a half hour to develop a firm top.  That's how you get the 'feet' on the bottom.  

Also don't try to make them on a rainy or humid day - they just won't dry out enough to make the feet.  

I have good luck with Bob's Red Mill almond flour.  Or you can whiz up some blanched almonds in your food processor until very fine, but don't go too far or you'll have almond butter! 

Watch a couple You tube videos on the process so you are clear before you start.  They can be finicky, but in my experience, the sitting out at room temp beore baking is the key. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10  I don't know if the recipe I posted is for true "French Macarons".  She titled the recipe "Macaroons", so these may just be her version of the cookie.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post the recipe yet—I promise it is on my "to do" list for tomorrow, so watch for it then. Keeping this topic on my mind is making me want to use the recipe, too...  Smiley Happy

ETA: I just searched my computer for this recipe and can't find it anywhere! I'll keep looking, but if anyone has a Cook's Illustrated subscription (mine has lapsed), perhaps you could post the recipe from the website; I believe it is called "Almond Macarons."

Esteemed Contributor

I just picked up a pack from Costco with $4 off.  The selection in the box is good, but they are a little too sweet for me.  I don't remember ever having them in France.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!