Honored Contributor

Need your tips for cutting down on Vitamix froth.

I’m trying out my new Vitamix this week. I’ve posted twice before about the drinks I made. Today, I made a concoction that wasn’t the best. I wanted to use up my tomatoes before they go bad. I was happy with baby spinach added to vanilla soy milk so I tried adding two medium size tomatoes to 16 ounces of vanilla soy milk. It’s not the best taste so far. If I try it again it will be with one tomato. Anyway, the main reason I’m posting is the problem with way too much froth or foam.

I added the soy milk into the V first and then added two medium tomatoes cut into fourths. I pulsed on level one, then progressed and pulsed on level four and then went to high and pulsed for about fifteen seconds. Then stopped and pulsed again for about ten seconds.

Any tips on the settings and pulsing sand useofhigherspeeds that can reduce the foam would be helpful.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need your tips for cutting down on Vitamix froth.

This may be totally wrong, but I was told that it was the green veggies that make the froth.  I hated it too and tried to do everything to stop it from forming.  I tried to mix everything else first and then add the greens at the end for just a few seconds.  I also read that if you add nuts, that can help cut down on all of the foam.  I'll be checking back to see the helpful tips I'm sure you will get.

Honored Contributor

You may be over processing the ingredients.  Try to not whip it so long or at such high speed which whips air into the mixture, creating the froth.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I read online that the froth is also due to the insoluble fiber that is found in such vegetables as tomatoes and spinach.   Some people found that first freezing cut up pieces of these veggies before using reduced the froth. I also read to turn the speed down for a couple minutes at the very end of blending. I have not tried either of these suggestions but thought I would pass them along in case you want to try. 

Super Contributor

I use the Vitamix to process my tomatoes for canning.  I found that that once you have the desired blend, turn the speed way down.  It cuts the froth significantly

Honored Contributor

@chips wrote:

I use the Vitamix to process my tomatoes for canning.  I found that that once you have the desired blend, turn the speed way down.  It cuts the froth significantly

I’ve seen this tip three times. I’ll try it out. Thanks.