Valued Contributor

Need your help with time for a recipe

Hi All

I was just wondering about converting a recipe from crock pot to stove top or oven. It is small piece of ham, fresh green beans and cut up potatoes. Should I cook everything all together at once? I was going to cook potatoes and green beans in maybe some chicken broth or chicken bouillion, but a little concerned with the salt factor. Think I could cook the beans and potatoes in the broth and then add the ham to just heat thru?

TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Need your help with time for a recipe

@cookinfreak - I'm no expert, but I do like to cook!

Here's what I would do: Assuming the piece of ham is cooked, I would boil the potatoes, steam the beans separately, then heat the ham piece in either a 325 degree oven until it's hot, or maybe a microwave. Then I would serve it all together! If you want to use the broth, I would use it with the potatoes. Of course they will probably be what you want to get ready to cook first.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I would put the ham and green beans together.  It would seem that adding bullion would be terribly salty.  II'd add a splash of white wine and add the cut up potatoes an hour or so before finishing.

At 5:30 pm, it's too late for a crock pot.  Was this for tomorrow?

Also we use Goya Pork seasoning for greens and green beans.  Much fresher taste.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG 

I have the crock pot directions, I am looking to convert it to the stove or oven for dinner. I appreciate the ideas. I think I will dice up the ham and that way I'll be able to get everything heated up quickly. 

Thanks to both of you!

cookin

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

@ECBG 

I have the crock pot directions, I am looking to convert it to the stove or oven for dinner. I appreciate the ideas. I think I will dice up the ham and that way I'll be able to get everything heated up quickly. 

Thanks to both of you!

cookin

@cookinfreak 

You're so welcome.  Goya is great to keep on hand.  It comes in sealed pouches.  In Mexican foods.

Goya Ham Flavored Concentrated Seasoning 1.41oz | Sabor a Jamon (Pack of 03)

Valued Contributor

@ECBG 

I haven't seen the Goya flavoring, but I need to grab my potatoes at the store and am going to look for that while I am in the store. It has me intriqued so I want to try it. Thanks!

cooking

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite dishes!

I put all of the ingredients in a pot, cover with water and cook until beans are done.

I like mine well done, some like crisp tender!  

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

One of my favorite dishes!

I put all of the ingredients in a pot, cover with water and cook until beans are done.

I like mine well done, some like crisp tender!  

Growing up my mother used to make this a lot on Sundays.  She'd make it this way too - cooked it low and slow.  Even though the potatoes and green beans fell apart, I used to ladle it into a deep bowl, cut the ham up in little pieces and smash down the green beans and potatoes and eat it like that.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just a note about the "timing" of cooking vegetables.

Any veggie that you would eat raw is 'done' when it is at the stage you like it.  If you cook more than one together, then cook long enough for the one that requires the longest (not normally eaten raw) to cook thoroughly.  Sometimes, adding some to the pot later is good.

Most above ground veggies can be eaten raw, and a few root veggies can be.