Esteemed Contributor

We're having about 10 people here for the 4th. I'm just tired of the same potato salad,macaroni salad etc.  for gatherings.  Any suggestions for simple but different things to serve would be appreciated. Side dishes,desserts, barbecue items.We're a mix of vegetarians and meat eaters.  Keeping in mind,I don't enjoy cooking and being in the kitchen.😀

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

Re: Need simple July 4th ideas

I like kabobs because you can vary the items used for the tastes of your guests.  Using shrimp, scallops, beef, chicken or a veggie medley allows for different side sauces/dips.

Maybe a side salad of diced apple, grapes and pecans/walnuts would be refreshing, as well (I like to add a bit of coconut) : )

Whatever you serve, I'm sure it will be lovely ~ have fun &

Happy Fourth : )

Respected Contributor

4th of July Taco Dip

Save to My Recipes

Spice up your 4th of July party! Serve this tasty dip with your favorite tortilla chips and it will surely be a hit.

Prep: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 can (16 oz.) Kroger® Traditional Refried Beans
  • 1 container (16 oz.) guacamole
  • 1 jar (16 oz.) chunky salsa
  • 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Shop Ingredients

Directions

• Step 1
    In a 9”x12” serving dish, spread the refried beans in a single layer.
  • Step 2
    Spread the guacamole over the beans, then spread the salsa over the top.
  • Step 3
    Place the black beans in the top left corner of the salsa shaped into a square. Place the cheese in a straight line at the top of the pan, then underneath place the tomatoes in a straight line. Alternate until the whole pan is covered.
  • Step 4
    Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
  • Step 5
    Serve with tortilla chips.
  • Step 6
    Refrigerate leftovers.
“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I will be taking this to my daughters. Looks cute and good!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@MoJoV  You can't go wrong with a fresh fruit salad.  Just cut up bananas, oranges, fresh pineapple (buy frozen from Trader Joe's), strawberries, and throw some blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, frozen or fresh cherries together and let it marinate for a few hours.  Whatever fresh fruit (or frozen if left overnight) you have will work, and it takes about 5 minutes to prepare. 

Just make sure that you mix the bananas in well and are covered with the natural fruit juices from the rest of the fruits, so they don't turn brown. 

You don't have to add anything, just the fruit mixed together and it is super easy and yummy!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A  bowl full of cut tomatoes, sliced cucumber and onion marinated in any type of vinaigrette or oil/vinegar dressing.

If you don't want to make it yourself, you might be able to find this type of salad ready-made at your grocery store's deli counter.

Or open a couple of cans of different types of baked beans, add some frozen already-diced green peppers and onions and maybe mix in some mustard and ketchup for an extra "kick", then bake in oven for an hour or even longer. 

Bush's Grilling Beans mixed with their other types of  "Homestyle" baked beans always taste good when blended together like this.

Trusted Contributor

I just made the ham and cheese pinwheels with Pillsbury Cresent Roll dough, they were delish, quick and easy.  Everyone loved them.  Just roll out the cresent dough it's great if you can find the cresent sheet dough. If using the perforated dough just press the seems to seal them. Spread the dough with Philadelphia cream cheese spread with chives, cover that with wafer thin slices of ham, I used the Hillshire Farms ham.  Then top with shredded cheddar cheese.  Roll up from the long side, cut the roll into slices about 1 1/2 inches place on parchment lined cookie sheet bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min.  I like to add some pepperjack cheese with my chedder when making the pinwheels.

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV

Pick up some delicious BBQ pork with the vinegar sauce. Yum

The kabobs are a great idea because you can grill veggies as well.

side dishes:

lettuce wedges with salad dressing ( iceberg)

broccoli salad

fruit salad or a fruit platter

rolls

and 

bourbon peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream

skillet apple pie

or apple dumplings

If you want something totally different go for chicken lasagna or chicken enchiladas but they require more work.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@Irish1210

yum

I am on my way to your house!

doxie

Respected Contributor

@4kitties

Oh my! That looks awesome!

doxie