Honored Contributor

Re: Need recipe suggestions for low- cholesterol, low fat , low sugar

@SouthernBee wrote:

@doxie1 : Thank you for your help and suggestions. He will not eat cauliflower or brussel sprouts but loves broccoli, collards, turnips, field peas, black eyed peas, and butter beans, zucchini and yellow squash that I roast with olive oil and lemon pepper. Southern Bee

IF you can get him on smoothies, he'll eat veggied and never know it.  Gradually sneak them in, and maybe make a smaller meal and say if we don't eat as much we can have a smoothie in an hour or two.  

People crave bad food until their body has enough good food to make them feel full AND satisfied.  Cravings take a while to get past.  One doc told me to eat what I wanted for a couple of weeks BUT I had to eat the things I needed first.  So gradually you become more satisfied because your body has what it needs.

You feel better then you start cutting back and substituting bit by bit.  But first you have to incorporate enough good food to feel better. 

Trusted Contributor

Add black beans, pinto beans, great nothern beans as a side dish,  it fills you up. 

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT : ok let me confess- my real name is= Pam😁😁. Thank you for the book suggestions and went on Amazon and ordered 3. I ordered the used ones but stated like new and will disinfect them when delivered. I don't drive. Plus this morning, Walmart had removed the benches and DH was following me around. He noticed I had selected a sugar free cake mix, the no yoke noodles, lite mayo. He snuck a small package  of pop tarts,but didn't purchase sweet cereals or candy.Small steps. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT : Thanks me too and already made purchase. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@dex : Thanks. Taking small steps. DH doesn't like yogurt.Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Sooner : Thanks for the suggestions. DH will not eat smoothies or yogurt but I do and will look for the yogurt maker. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@walker : Thak you. We love chicken and everything you mentioned sounds delicious and will  look for the book. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sooner : Thanks for the suggestions. DH will not eat smoothies or yogurt but I do and will look for the yogurt maker. Southern Bee

@SouthernBee You won't really have to put much plain yogurt in--it adds body and nutrition--just a big spoonful or two to taste.  And with banana and fruit, it doesn't stand out.

Brussel sprouts?  Shred them, and saute in olive oil and add a little onion or garlic if you like that and a splash of soy sauce makes them really good.  They get crispy and carmalized and are wonderful!  Leftovers are good in a frittata too!  I'm sure you could mix them in with sauteed potatoes and serve as well. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner : Thank you. Great suggestions and sound good and willing to try. Is it difficult to make yogurt? Southern Bee

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee  Try to keep it to whole foods. Don't make anything that was something else first. In other words, no bread or pasta - whole wheat or otherwise. See if barley works.It packs more nutrition than rice.  My DH loves to eat a lot of food at a sitting. So, I fortify the barley with mushrooms and zucchini. That bulks it up without adding too many carbs. You can use beef or chicken stock (low fat) to flavor the barley. Best wishes to you! It isn't easy.