Honored Contributor

Need recipe suggestions for low- cholesterol, low fat , low sugar

Dealing with very picky eater. Purchased the American Heart Association Cook Book.  Needs to reduce cholesterol, sugar, fat. This cookbook had very few photos. Recipes included so many items that will refuse to eat. I have reduced salt, and sugar in recipes. Have started making whole wheat bread. Cooking brown rice and no yoke noodles.No white potatoes.  Favorite meal so far- baked salmon, asparagus and plain sweet potato.Southern Bee

Super Contributor

Re: Need recipe suggestions for low- cholesterol, low fat , low sugar

Who is the picky eater you or other? I'm a very picky eater and find esp. now, I can't find anything that sounds great to eat.

I cook alot because as I said I'm picky eater, but so tired of my cooking. Martha Stewart's recipes are always healthy, easy, reliable and tasty. Check it out. Good luckSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

I would suggest lean protein in small (4 ounce) portions, whole grains (including pasta) and lots of vegetables. I would also add fresh fruit. Increasing the fiber intake with whole grains and veggies will help lower the cholesterol naturally and these foods are inherently low in sugar and fats. Dairy should also be low fat options. I think this makes it easier to tailor your cooking to the person's preferences. 

Honored Contributor

Just don't eat shrimp a week before a dr's appt.  It shows up as a higher cholesterol!

Respected Contributor

What were some of the PE’s favorite recipes before? Were any of them close to healthy?
Honored Contributor

A picky eater who needs to eat healthy. This isn't going to be easy for you as the cook.

Honored Contributor

@bonappetit : DH - no concept of portion control or limits. Loves sugar , salty snacks . Growing up large family and never enough food, went to bed hungry. I've tried to set example with healthy meals but after dinner will binge eat on sweets and salty snack. But last two weeks eating natural almonds for snack - but not decreasing portions. Last two weeks - I have reduced his sandwiches 2 instead of 4 and used whole wheat bread instead of white. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Goldenmoher : Thanks for suggestions. I have him on 2% milk instead of whole. DH stated no 1 % or strange stuff like almond milk. Southern Bee

Super Contributor

Little changes will help. You'll both do fine. I don't like almond milk either!

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 😁❤️❤️. DH grocery shopping- cookies, candy , sweet cereals. Instant oatmeal for him is one serving = 4 packets of the maple brown sugar. DH puts sugar on Raisin Bran. Southern Bee