Contributor

Need recipe for beef short ribs

My husband keeps  asking for beef short ribs. I have never cooked them. Every recipe I have seen calls for tomato sauce. He is not a fan of red sauces. Anyone have a recipe for them? Either oven or crockpot? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need recipe for beef short ribs

These can be scrumptious when braised to delightful tenderness. I do them stovetop in a Dutch oven, but they can be oven-cooked in a braise or crockpot prepared similarly. The secret is low and slow so they really end up tender and moist. 

Short ribs are very rich and filling, so don’t plan on more than one or two pieces per person, with a light side dish or a crispy green salad. 

This recipe comes with a video on the page to help with preparation confidence. It requires no tomato sauce, and guarantees success.

https://thestayathomechef.com/classic-braised-beef-short-ribs/

Bon appetit!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Often hear David/kitchen expounding about short ribs - makes me decide to try them again.......until I get to the the store and see all that fat and the price for all that fat & bone..............and decide against it (again).  Rather put my $$ in real tender piece.

Honored Contributor

Short ribs are a great dish to make in a pressure cooker.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Grammyto3 !

Try the following short rib recipe, braised with red wine and dried apricots.  After browning, I make it in the slow cooker.  It’s delicious. I’ve used leftover meat to make short rib ravioli.

35BCCDD2-6CC4-4455-8FBA-6BFA9FA79650.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I'd use a crockpot in the summer.  I wouldn't like them in tomato sauce.  Use a little beef or chicken broth instead.  Even the dreaded cream of mushroom soup would work.  Just do it!

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of cooking short ribs w/tomato sauce. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pressure cook slowly in wine or beef stock with some aramatics and pressure cook until soft and very tender.

Optional:

Adding some quartered carrots and potatoes a few minutes before meat is tender is also recomended.

Esteemed Contributor

I make beef short ribs like I make Swiss Steak!  Delicious!

Honored Contributor

no real recipe, but short ribs are my favorite and quite easy to prepare.

i usually season them first with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.

i then sear them on top of the stove (i usually do this in steps......dont crowd too many in at once and try to get a nice sear on all sides.)

i deglaze the pan with beer or red wine.

once seared, they go into a crockpot for low and slow cooking. they are topped with lots of sliced onions roasted garlc or fresh garlic, and the liquid from the deglazed pan. you can also add a few shakes of worcestershire sauce. if needed, you can add a dry packet of au jus gravy or brown gravy......not always necessary though. short ribs make such a delicious broth all on their own.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein