Honored Contributor

Need hints on fermenting food

DH's best friend went off the deep end on fermenting food, it seems he lives on the stuff now days.  So I bought two gallon glass jars from Amazon with the gas release tops.  Doing what he told me, I mixed up a batch of shredded cabbage and onions.  Only then did I start checking on the internet and found I shouldn't have used iodized salt.  So I threw it all out and will pick up sea salt next market trip.  Friend said I can use any kind of salt, but I noticed sea salt in his photos that he sent.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Need hints on fermenting food

@depglass@Are you making kimchi...love that stuff but I am afraid to make my own.I worry that it would develop salmonella .

Esteemed Contributor

My Gram would make her own saurkraut and yes she did use Morton's salt. Nobody died. She used old fashioned crocks, nothing fancy.

You can try your local Extension Service. They offer great advice.

Honored Contributor

@depglass

Cultures For Health dot com

Honored Contributor

Fermented food is always included in our large lunch salad due to their probiotic factors...either kim chi or sauerkraut.  I want to start making my own.  Currently I buy my vegan Kim Chi at Whole Foods and recently Costco stopped carrying our raw sauerkraut.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband always has a crock of sauerkraut fermenting.  He does shredded cabbage and whole cabbage heads. We have never added onions.

we have a couple of very large crocks with a wood lid that has to be weighted down.  He has to tend to the cabbage almost everyday.  The foam and scum buildup must be skimmed off.  I can tell you the smell is not something I would want to smell indoors.

Our cabbage is always fermented outside in a shed.  He never uses sea salt.  He uses Morton or some other box of regular salt.

We have been  married for 45 years and he has been making sauerkraut since we were dating.  His family has been doing this forever.  My parents used to do it occasionally  when  I was a kid, I hate to skim the cabbage...yuck. 

We have never ever made it in a mason jar.

Trusted Contributor

I notice most pickling or canning recipes specify uniodized salt.  You will find it in the grocery store right on the same shelf with iodized salt in the same kind of container.  Even Morton's has it -- just double check the label to make sure which you're buying.

I've never researched WHY it should be uniodized, though.

Honored Contributor

Supposedly the iodized salt has an ingredient that inhibits the fermenting process.  I'm taking baby steps here, read the above posted website by someone in the know.  Now I just need patience to let this batch process.