Honored Contributor

Need help with a gluten free dish

I need to take a gluten-free side dish to an outdoor picnic. They are having hot dogs and hamburgers, but I've been to events with this lady before and she always has trouble with the dishes people bring. I want to make something tasty and gluten free for her. Can anyone help with some good tried and true picnic-style recipes? TIA! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with a gluten free dish

@beach-mom

I am blank right now but I know someone who is an expert

@lolakimono

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

just recently made this chickpea summer salad for 4th of july that is simple and DELICIOUS! it would definitely hold up well during a picnic. if she is not a chickpea fan then substitute her favorite bean!

• 1 avocado
  • 1/2 fresh lemon
  • 1 can chickpeas , drained (19 oz)
  • 1/4 cup sliced red onion
  • 2 cups grape tomatoes , sliced
  • 2 cups diced cucumber
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley
  • 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
Dressing
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • salt & pepper

1. Cut avocado into cubes and place in bowl. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon over the avocado and gently stir to combine.
  2. Add remaining salad ingredients and gently toss to combine.
  3. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
Nutrition Information
Calories: 238, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 259mg, Potassium: 552mg, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 20%, Vitamin C: 46.6%, Calcium: 5.8%, Iron: 11.7%

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

since gluten free is just no wheat products as far as i know, 

what about a potato salad?

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom

Gluten is in a lot of pre-packaged items.  What I would suggest is bringing something with simple ingredients. 

Do you know if she has other food issues, like allergies or intolerances?  

Here is what I make often for parties-

• three bean salad, with garbanzos, red beans and black beans.  I usually add some fresh parsley, and a citrus vinaigrette with halved cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and some fresh parsley.
  • fruit salad or skewers
  • broccoli salad (can add whatever you want- red onion, golden raisins, shredded carrots, walnuts, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, cheese, etc.)  I try to include the rainbow of veggies and some crunch.  When I make this for others I use lemon Greek yogurt, and add ACV with olive oil and garlic, a touch of honey, and blend in the Vitamix.  
  • roasted veggie salad- I roast broccoli, cauliflower, grape/cherry tomatoes, red peppers, carrots, whatever veggies I have on hand.  Then I make a dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper.  I add those packaged mozzarella balls (I like the creamy ones from Costco or Trader Joe's) and I let it marinate.

Image result for mozzarella balls in oil

• rice salad- cooked rice or quinoa with black beans, corn, tomatoes, scallions, shredded cheddar, red peppers, and sliced avocado.  I garnish with fresh lime juice to keep the avocados fresh.  
Honored Contributor

Ina Garten on Food Network makes a great fresh corn salad, very simple.

Her recipe is online but it's fresh corn sliced off the cob, a little diced red onion, vinegar, olive oil, basil.

You can make it ahead of time. 

It's on my radar to make this summer, haven't had the chance yet, corn just now coming in well.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone! @sunshine45 - I made your salad and it was a hit! It is so good! You all gave me help with things I can make for her and others in the future. It is a healthier way to eat!

This time some others brought gluten free dishes. I think the summer vegetable season helps a lot! We even had two gluten free cakes! I had the vanilla one with icing - it was good, but I could tell it wasn't a "regular" cake. I'm just glad others are thinking about what she can and can't eat too. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom

so glad that it was a hit!

it is so easy to make and has such good flavors and textures.

it definitely is a great summer salad that i will keep on making.

by the way, i forgot to mention that i did use a yellow bell pepper instead of a green.....for more color.

see you on the beach! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein