Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with a Pioneer Woman Potato Salad Recipe

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh ok, thanks ladies.  I thought it was just me.  I really bailed after the olives . . . no, just no.

@momtochloe 

On the other hand, also in that link you provided to Ree's potato salad is Ina Garten's potato salad recipe with buttermilk and dill....great reviews and YUM!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe I didn't see the show this morning but I read through the recipe.  For a cold potato salad I would sub a classic vinaigrette or a Good Seasons type Italian dressing in place of  the marinara sauce.

As far as the potatoes being boiled in 15 minutes the recipe lists baby potatoes--those really tiny, expensive ones--so that is a true time estimate.  @depglass 

As far as the marinara sauce with potatoes I would only do that with a hot dish recipe.

Her recipe is essentially playing with some typical Italian American ingredients and presenting her twist on some standard ideas.

I have put a little Kraft's Catalina dressing, for example, in one of my macaroni salad recipes and it was pretty tasty.

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

Oh ok, thanks ladies.  I thought it was just me.  I really bailed after the olives . . . no, just no.

@momtochloe 

On the other hand, also in that link you provided to Ree's potato salad is Ina Garten's potato salad recipe with buttermilk and dill....great reviews and YUM!

@KingstonsMom, Ina’s recipe does look good!  I can’t have dill, but I don’t think I’d miss it. I wouldn’t like Ree’s. Adding bacon to potato salad is as wild as I get!

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe 

@KingstonsMom, Ina’s recipe does look good!  I can’t have dill, but I don’t think I’d miss it. I wouldn’t like Ree’s. Adding bacon to potato salad is as wild as I get!

@Ruby Laine 

Great minds think alike, LOL!

I've made Ina's recipe, had no fresh dill but added crisp, crumbled bacon just before serving.....delish!

Also, used fresh parsley for color, in place of the dill!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom, parsley is a great idea. For some reason I’ve never tried it, but I will now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oldest DS's GF is Japanese.  The Japanese Potato Salad has ham and veggies.  DH loves it. I can't get used to it. I've tried it a few times.

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe - I definitely didn't think that potato salad looked or sounded good, and I'm a big fan of potatoes and pepperoni in just about any of their configurations. I actually made a face when she mixed together the mayo and the marinara; that just seems nasty. And when is Ree going to use the right bowl size for what she's putting together? She has dozens of bowls around her kitchen, but she always seems to pick one that is too small for mixing or tossing her ingredients. Oh, well...

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe  Thanks for providing the link. Yes I agree that it sounds more like a pizza or a pasta salad. That being said, I may want to try this! I make a chicken salad with red wine, tomato sauce and mango chutny that gets requested all the time.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@momtochloe - I definitely didn't think that potato salad looked or sounded good, and I'm a big fan of potatoes and pepperoni in just about any of their configurations. I actually made a face when she mixed together the mayo and the marinara; that just seems nasty. And when is Ree going to use the right bowl size for what she's putting together? She has dozens of bowls around her kitchen, but she always seems to pick one that is too small for mixing or tossing her ingredients. Oh, well...

Hee @loriqvc  oh that bowl!  I mean I do it all the time but I'm an idiot in the kitchen.  I thought the same thing.  I was like, wow nothing is going very well in this segment is it? . . . Smiley Very Happy

Regular Contributor

I like her.. but I agree with you all that said the twist on potato salad.

Those ingredients just don't go together.. Its an easy pass for me.

I cant take hot spice anymore. I used to be able to.

Most all of her recipes have some kind of a hot spice. If I want to make any recipe that has a hot spice I will leave it out..