Respected Contributor

Need help to separate frozen red snapper!

I bought at least 4lbs of red snapper fillets.   Unfortunately, they're all frozen together in one bag.   They are large fillets, so only one would be enough .  Should I run them under  water and try to separate?  Then return to freezer?

Respected Contributor

Re: Need help to separate frozen red snapper!

[ Edited ]

Try banging the whole bag on the counter.  I do this with frozen biscuits and it works.  Also frozen flounder filets but that's only a 1 lb bag.  If you run water over them you'll just make it worse when you re-freeze them.  Unless you dry them and wrap them individually.

Esteemed Contributor

For that problem I've put the food item in the microwave on Defrost - 50 seconds at a time - food probably won't come apart after the first 50 sec - but do it again and then CHECK with your fingers.  When one comes free from the others - RUSH those not using back in the freezer.  If you want all of them separated - just repeat but put them back in the FREEZER quickly  as the majority of the (fish) is still ice cold and frozen.

Honored Contributor

I would run in ice cold water so they break apart easier but do not defrost. Dry and freeze separately 

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much!!