Honored Contributor

Need help on roasting extra large turkey wings

Eating TG with friends at restaurant but one upset about not getting enough or any  turkey wings. I can no longer cook for this group of 15. I normally order two of the whole roasted turkey from Honey Bake Ham. DH wants me to cook the wings. Never cooked wings separate. Purchased  a  pack of 4 pounds today thinking it would be at least 6 wings- ok - I am clueless. Decided to clean the wings before putting them in the freezer. Open package and it had the 2 largest turkey wings that I have ever seen!!! Yes, I can google this but so confused. Best way to roast the turkey wings? Your help appreciated. Southern Bee

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help on roasting extra large turkey wings

[ Edited ]

After you thraw yours , foldback  ( just like they serve in the restaurant ) so they get a little crispy . Wings are pretty fatty .  Rub lemon on them  & Salt/ pepper  well and place on a cooking rack  inside a   deep baking pan . The best is to use a cookie rack that is oven safe & spray rack with non stick spray then put wings ontop of the rack .

Cook wings at 350 degrees till they are crispy and the fat does not look raw , abt 45 mins  .

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 : Thank you for taking the time to post. I like the idea of using rack with cookie sheet. I wasn't sure how long to cook but wanted them cooked well but not dried out.  Really appreciate your help. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Slowcooked turkey wings
1. Ingredients for slow cooker recipe for turkey wings
  • 2 fresh or thawed turkey wings
  • Seasonings (see below)
  • Chicken or turkey stock (optional)
2. Directions for how to make turkey wings in the slow cooker
  1. Take the turkey wings, rinse them well with water, and pat dry.
  2. Season very generously with a variety of seasonings. I never use just salt and pepper but rather a multitude of seasonings for very flavorful meat. (Hey, if Kentucky Fried Chicken, aka KFC, can use 13 special herbs and spices, why not me?)
  3. If you have time, let the wings sit and absorb the spices. Place them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and keep it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator a couple of hours before cooking. This can aid with attaining the most flavorful results.
  4. After the turkey has been washed, seasoned, and possibly marinated, place the turkey wings side by side into the slow cooker.
  5. Add a cup of water or canned soup for reduction. Note that in a slow cooker, you will need less liquid than you will for the stove top. In the slow cooker, the water does not evaporate as readily.
  6. Cover the slow cooker, plug it in, and set it on high for 2 to 3 hours. Reduce it to low for an additional 5 to 6 hours.
  7. When the time is up, take the wings out and enjoy!

How to season the turkey wings
Seasoning to prepare slow cooked turkey wings

I suggest using a combination of a least six of the following seasonings:

• Garlic
  • Parsley
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • Ginger
  • Black pepper
  • Red pepper
  • Paprika
  • Salt

I use all of these seasonings with black pepper, garlic, and parsley in the greatest abundance. I've also enjoyed working with fresh seasonings and suggest you add some fresh chopped raw onion and fresh minced raw garlic cloves three quarters of the way through the cooking process. You will yield even better results.

Additionally, when all is complete, the fully cooked turkey wings will taste great with a topping such as a gravy or pesto—yes, pesto. I typically prepare turkey gravy only around Thanksgiving Day or New Year's Day, and I do so using the turkey giblets from a whole raw turkey that I am preparing.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 : Thank you for taking the time to help and post this recipe. Maybe this is something that I can do. I have a slow cooker but not many good results using it to cook. I use the slow cooker to keep my hamburger dip warm and to keep my collards warm for Thanksgiving. I love the idea to use the slow cooker for the wings while preparing other foods. Southern Bee