Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need help/ideas/thoughts on pasta salad

We use Italian dressing for our pasta salad but I think you could use any dressing of your choice. 

Regular Contributor

Is the shop out of business now? That's so frustrating. Our butcher shop used to have a stuffed chicken breast with cornbread stuffing. Oh my, it was so good. Now it's more of a spicey regular stuffing. I miss that cornbread so much. 

I think the others' hunches that this particular dressing is cooked are probably right. Maybe sour cream would work, but you'd be able to taste that I'd think. Ricotta would be kind of grainy. 

Wish I could help - I just grab a parmesean italian Wegman's store brand and throw in my favorite things, but I just throw pasta salad together for the family in summer. I don't put much effort in. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I mix italian dressing with mayo then dress that up with various herbs--I like a creamy pasta salad myself.

Respected Contributor

Google "creamy greek dressing for pasta salad" to see if that may be what you are looking for.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just use the sauce part from these two these recipes

# 1. Ingredients
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
  • 1 cup Crème Fraiche (sour cream may be substituted)
  • 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • ½ teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained
  • ½ cup frozen peas
  • ¼ cup minced celery
  • ¼ cup chopped scallions
  • ½ cup drained and chopped roasted red peppers
  • 4 tablespoons sweet pepper relish (such as Howard’s or Uncle Maynard’s brand)
  • ½ cup sliced black olives
  • ½ cup chopped yellow or orange bell peppers
  • 12 ounces uncooked pasta (we like the spiral Cavatappi or Cavatelli noodles)

Instructions
  1. In a small sauce pan fill with enough water to cover three eggs. Bring to a boil, add white vinegar and then with a slotted spoon, gently drop the eggs in one at a time. Boil for five minutes and turn burner off, then let them sit in the hot water for another fifteen minutes. Drain, shake to crack shells and peel under running water. Chop and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, Crème Fraiche and softened creamed cheese until smooth. Add all other ingredients except pasta. Fold in chopped eggs and hold mixture under refrigeration.
  3. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain thoroughly but do not rinse or cool.
  4. In a large bowl, place drained hot pasta. Add mayonnaise mixture to hot noodles and stir to combine.
  5. Spread the pasta salad onto a sheet pan and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
  6. Spoon the now cooled pasta salad into a serving bowl and serve.

# 2.
  • 2 chicken breasts boneless skinless

• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

• 2 tablespoons canola oil

• 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)

• 8 ounces bacon (cooked and crumbled)

• 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (diced finely in 1/2 inch cubes)

• 1 cup ranch dressing

• 1 pound fusilli pasta (cooked)
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  Try this one, or substitute your own spices.  This is from Asheville's Biltmore Village top tea room.  It closed, but people still talk about it.  Everywhere I take this everyone loves it and asks for it.  I add a touch more dill.  

Chelsea's Pasta Salad  Love!!!

1 box rotini pasta

1 small packet ranch dressing mix

2 Tbs fresh chopped or 1 Tbs dill weed

Juice of 1/2 lemon

2 Tbs. buttermilk  (or a little vinegar added to milk)

1/2 C mayonnaise

1/2 C sour cream

4 stalks celery finely chopped

1 small red onion, chopped

1 C thawed frozen small green peas

Cook pasta Andante.   Cool completely.  (I use cold water)

In  bowl combine dill, ranch mix, lemon juice, buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream.  Stir thoroughly, salt and pepper if desired.

In large bowl toss pasta, celery, onion, and peas.

Pour dressing over and refrigerate 6-8 hours.

(I add green pepper and a little more dill).

Honored Contributor

I made Ina Garten's Pasta, Pesto and Peas, recipe for a gathering last summer.  It has mayonnaise in it. I was very concerned that it would be too rich or too greasy, but it was excellent and huge hit.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 8.31.49 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mtc

Just a few suggestions.........

--Blend  finely grated Parmesan cheese into a  Caesar or other creamy type of dressing. Or mix  grated cheese into some Olive Garden Italian dressing.  (I notice Aldi's sells Olive Garden).  This should thicken the dressing nicely without drowning out tanginess.

Or visit the grocery store produce department and pick up some refrigerated Marie's Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing, which tend to be thicker than most other brands.

Also maybe overcook the pasta a little bit, so it's more "soggy" and won't absorb all the dressing.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I made Ina Garten's Pasta, Pesto and Peas, recipe for a gathering last summer.  It has mayonnaise in it. I was very concerned that it would be too rich or too greasy, but it was excellent and huge hit.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 8.31.49 AM.png

@house_cat  I've been making this recipe for years and it's always loved by everyone. I haven't made it for about 2 years. I look at the recipe and then move on. Since you posted it, I'm going to make it!  I haven't had a minute to breathe lately but I'm going to treat us to this.

Thanks.😉

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  Looked online and saw two interesting Creamy Pasta Salads. Both had 5 star ratings. Maybe you can take a little from one and a little from another and combine them. Make a small pasta salad for yourself ahead of time to try it out.

1- lecremedelacrumb.com    Title: Best Ever Creamy Sweet Macaroni Salad. I'd use whatever pasta you want.

2-  carlsbadcravings.com.    Title: Bacon Pea Creamy Pasta Salad with Lemon Parmesan      

Dressing

If you find a really good recipe, whether you make it straight or combine a few to make one great one, please let us know.

Take care😘

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.