Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need an easy - YUMMY - mac & cheese recipe!

On 12/28/2014 Skylands said:
On 12/28/2014 colliegirls said:

Both sides of my family always made what some here would consider high calorie and high fat foods, lots of comfort foods. All of them have lived or are still living in their 80s and 90s. They all did just fine without all that low fat, low calorie, low taste yuck food. A lot of your health and longevity is hereditary.

True, heredity plays into it. But, in case you R not aware, heart disease is the No.1 cause of death in the United States:

1) http://www.theheartfoundation.org/heart-disease-facts/heart-disease-statistics/

2) http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/Menopause-and-Heart-Disease_UCM_4...

Especially for women in menopause without estrogen protection.

Yep, and plenty of health food nuts die every day from heart attacks and strokes. As David Brenner used to say in his comedy act, if you get run over by a bus, what difference will it make if meat comes out or vegetables???

Respected Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:

Skylands, I'm sure none of us would sit down and consume a whole baking dish of mac and cheese.....with that said, I'm sure we all understand your point.

What? Where is your common sense lady?

Regular Contributor

Do a thread search, there was a good Crockpot M&C posted about a month ago.

Regular Contributor

I thought this was a thread about a Macaroni and Cheese recipe, but guess it's more a let's bash other peoples recipes and tell them how bad it is for them, Sheesh, people get over it. If it's not to your liking or what you consider unhealthy, instead of saying something negative, just ignore it and move on is what I would do.

Honored Contributor

I did not know this and learned it new here today on this post...

If you are not already signed in...the 'Ignore User' feature does not work until you do so!

Duh! LOL Now I know better to sign in first before I begin reading! Then I would not have had to read the unkind replies which also used totally inappropriate language.

ANYWAYS!! I also always recommend the Dadgum Smoker 5 Cheese Mac & Cheese recipe even without using the smoker but this Christmas I tried "Stretchy Mac & Cheese" posted by Natural Born Woman on 11/13/14. A big BIG thank you to Natural Born for this great recipe! Cutting the cheese in blocks instead of shredding made it SO easy!

It was DELICIOUS, so simple and very yummy gooey! I didn't bother to put on the bread crumbs listed in the recipe and they weren't missed. My family gave it 2 big thumbs up and told me it was 'okay' to use this recipe instead of Dadgum if I wanted. LOL nice to have their permission!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/22/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I make my Mom's.

1 pound box of pasta (I use whole grain macaroni)

Velveeta, cubed (start with 4 ounces, add more if needed)

Extra Sharp Cheese, cubed (bagged and shredded if you wish)

2 eggs

2 tablespoons of melted butter

2 cups heavy cream

salt

cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 350

Cook and drain the pasta

Mix the eggs, heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside

Layer 1/2 of the pasta in an 8x8 Pyrex.

Top with 1/2 of both cheeses

Repeat with pasta and cheeses

Pour cream sauce in

Cover with foil

Bake for 45 minutes

U seem to have quite a few high fat/cholesterol recipes HonnyBrown. How's your heart health?

This would be a once in a year recipe for me at most. But I'd switch out some of these ingredients. Not that I'd make it a lite, boring version. Some of these ingredients seem to 'gild the lily'. If you know what I mean - excessive fat.

Sky, thank you for asking! I am in perfect health according to my doctor, my blood work and my waistline. At my last annual physical, which was recently, she told me to keep doing what I am doing. I love hearing that!

I have comfort foods a few times a year, so when I do, I go all out. I thoroughly enjoy them with no regrets or substitutions!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 12/22/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I make my Mom's.

1 pound box of pasta (I use whole grain macaroni)

Velveeta, cubed (start with 4 ounces, add more if needed)

Extra Sharp Cheese, cubed (bagged and shredded if you wish)

2 eggs

2 tablespoons of melted butter

2 cups heavy cream

salt

cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 350

Cook and drain the pasta

Mix the eggs, heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside

Layer 1/2 of the pasta in an 8x8 Pyrex.

Top with 1/2 of both cheeses

Repeat with pasta and cheeses

Pour cream sauce in

Cover with foil

Bake for 45 minutes

U seem to have quite a few high fat/cholesterol recipes HonnyBrown. How's your heart health?

This would be a once in a year recipe for me at most. But I'd switch out some of these ingredients. Not that I'd make it a lite, boring version. Some of these ingredients seem to 'gild the lily'. If you know what I mean - excessive fat.

Sky, thank you for asking! I am in perfect health according to my doctor, my blood work and my waistline. At my last annual physical, which was recently, she told me to keep doing what I am doing. I love hearing that!

I have comfort foods a few times a year, so when I do, I go all out. I thoroughly enjoy them with no regrets or substitutions!

Honny, you missed some of the nastier posts, they were deleted! I am with you, we are adorable and in good health, lets eat!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

collie, I guess I was too late. I was ready for some fun!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Nightowlz said: Search Dadgum That's Good & click on recipes Masterbuilt, click on smoker, click on sides, click on 4 cheese Mac n' cheese. It's really yummy gooey. You can make it in the oven you don't have to use a smoker. I don't have any other recipes with me. I'm in the car on my iPad.

I'm still going to try many of the recipes posted here but I did go with this one. OMG it was incredible. These people never go back for seconds of anything, but I barely had any of this left. It was the hit of the dinner. Even though everyone was full they went back for more.

Super Contributor

On 12/22/2014 GoodStuff said:

Butter a baking dish (you choose the size) and fill it about 3/4 full with cooked macaroni (or other pasta; I like shells best). Tuck generous pats of butter and numerous chunks of your favorite cheeses (cheddar, jack, swiss, Velveeta.....whatever you like) all among the pasta. In a separate bowl, mix together enough whole milk (or half and half) and beaten eggs to fill the baking dish, one egg per 1/2 cup of milk. Season the egg/milk mixture with salt, pepper, a few dashes of tabasco, and (if you like) a dash of garlic powder. Pour the egg/milk mixture over the pasta till the baking dish is almost full and the pasta just covered. If you want to go crazy-whole-hog, you can spread grated cheese on top. Spritz the top with cooking spray and put the casserole into a 325 degree oven. Bake till set and starting to brown on top. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes, and serve.

This is the kind of mac and cheese that holds its shape when cut.........and it is SO good! It's what my Mama always made.

Yum Yum Yum.