Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on chocolate dipped sweet treats....

@Nightowlz wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Mom2Dogs   

Have you thought of  adding paraffin wax to the melted chocolate.   The wax helps the chocolate set up and remain solid.  When I used to make candies I would always add wax to the melted chocolate.  I always used Gulf wax.

@KatieB @Mom2Dogs 

I always add some shortening. It seems to help it set up better plus it makes the chocolate smooth. Online it says to use 1/2 t shortening per ounce of chocolate.

I remember my dad using that wax when he made Martha Washington candy when I was a kid.

It was a long time ago when I made candies and used it.  But I would probably use it again if i still made candies.  I must be older than I thought...  Wow!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on chocolate dipped sweet treats....

Thanks all for the replies...

I do not temper the chocolate but do watch it carefully, using a double boiler, and stirring a lot.....I do let the chocolate cool/slightly harden, and re-use.....so that may be a problem.  I do not have streaking in the chocolate.

The chocolate does set up, but would like that 'crunch'.  I had a chocolate coconut dipped piece of candy a while back and noticed the 'bite' that it had, so good!

I do add paraffin or a little oil to thin the chocolate.

again, I appreciate the replies