Honored Contributor

Need a quality brand of canned fruit

[ Edited ]

I often use plain old canned fruit for desert as we are 30 miles from any food stores and fresh fruit isn't the greatest quality due to less frequent buying.  I'm finding mushy peaches, hard pears, pits in just about any variety, and the pineapple is horribly tough.  These are national brands like Del Monte and house brands.  Can someone recommend a line they have had good luck with? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a quality brand of canned fruit

[ Edited ]

If........I have to use canned fruit,it is the Elberta peaches. the very best is home canned fruit/veggies. I rarely ever buy anything canned anymore. I buy frozen fruits and veg more often. Canned has  too much sugar and carbs for my diet. I buy fresh as much as possible.

Valued Contributor

The best canned fruit in my opinion is peaches from Costco.  They come in a 24 oz. jar (4) and are reasonably priced.  I also like the canned SW fruit cocktail in a case from Costco. Some canned/jared fruit is disgusting.  I guess this won't be helpful to those that don't have a Costco.  

Honored Contributor

How about frozen fruit?  Some frozen berries are really good.  You can add whatever you want in the way of sweetener.  You can whiz it in the blender for a puree, cook it into a "sauce" or even eat it partly frozen!  

Make a smoothie, put it in cereal (we do that a lot with blueberries), or just thaw and eat.  Put some granola on it for crunch or crumble up a vanilla wafer.  

Honored Contributor

@BaileyBop wrote:

The best canned fruit in my opinion is peaches from Costco.  They come in a 24 oz. jar (4) and are reasonably priced.  I also like the canned SW fruit cocktail in a case from Costco. Some canned/jared fruit is disgusting.  I guess this won't be helpful to those that don't have a Costco.  

I agree, the Costco peaches are always firm and fresh-tasting.  I like them in a dish on top of some cottage cheese.

Valued Contributor

I hear what you are saying about grocery store fruits and veggies. We live in a rural area and end up traveling to more than one store to try and find quality items this time of year.  Of course, sometimes I think that we have gotten too used to having very good fresh food year-round......when it's out of season. 

Honored Contributor

If I need canned fruit, I always buy Dole.  Their pineapple is THE best this side of fresh.

Honored Contributor

Libby’s.

Respected Contributor

I cut up 6 apples into chunky pieces and put in the slow cooker till tender.  Sometimes i add dried cranberries and walnuts.  No water needed at all.  Just sprinkle with cinammon while cooking.  The house smells great too.  I eat it as is.  My husband puts it over ice cream. I like it over cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt.  Delicious.  We also like the frozen pitted dark cherries with a plop of cool whip on it.  Very refreshing in the summer if you eat them frozen.

Honored Contributor

Image result for delmonte orchard select

DelMonte Orchard Select. They are found in the refrigerator section of the supermarket. 

They make peaches, pears, grapefruit, mandarin oranges..........some varieties  I've found with no sugar added. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.