Trusted Contributor

Need a good recipe for Crab Dip

Prefer a cold dip as I'm bringing to someones hbome and don't know if her oven will be all tied up with dinner.

Also can canned crab be substituted for freash crab in a dip.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a good recipe for Crab Dip

[ Edited ]

@Jamma, here is my recipe. I am asked to being this to all family get togethers.  It was a recipe given to me by a friend some thirty years ago and is still my go to for crab dip.

1 small pkg Philly cream cheese

2 tbsp of finely chopped onion

2 cloves garlic minced or 1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp Worcester sauce

1/2 tsp dried mustard

several drops of tobasco sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tin of crab or surimi

I always use surimi.

Enjoy.  LM

Respected Contributor

I would like to add some "tips" to Lilysmom's recipe.....

Make sure the cream cheese comes to room temp before adding any ingrediants.....if not, you will have chunks of cream cheese that look like cottage cheese and they are not easily blended in.

I found out that canned crab can have a "canned" taste so before you add it to your mixture, taste it or you'll need to buy a different brand.

I also found out that canned crab has "shells" once in a while so dump your crab in a bowl and feel through the meat so you're not adding something to your dip that shouldn't be there.

Also, I usually make a seafood dip at least a day ahead of time for the flavors to come together.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma@Just Bling, good tips by @Just Bling.  I stopped making this dip with real crab unless it is fresh for the reasons @Just Bling mentioned.  Surimii is a great substitute.  You would never know it is not real crab and it does not have the issues mentioned.

A day ahead is good too.  When I make this, I make one for company and one for home as DH loves it.  Taste test it when you are done and add more of whatever if you wish.

I serve this with a canary knife as it is thick.  Use big dip chips and/or crackers.  Take it out of the fridge at least a half hour before serving.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Lilysmom & Just Bling----aprecciate your help.

Have a good Thanksgiving,

Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

Auto spell check ... Canapy knife, not Canary😀.

Trusted Contributor

How many people does it serve---can I double recipe?

Thanks Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma, this is one recipe I have never doubled.  I make two instead.  It is quite a job to combine the Philly cream cheese with the rest of the ingredients so I find it easier to do in smaller batches.

This more than fills a dip bowl of a chip and dip set.  I would guess it is good for 8-10 people.  Certainly takes care of a large bag of dip chips and crackers.  HTH.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Lilysmom.

Jamma

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma, have fun at your party.  Come back and tell me what you think of  the dip.  LM