Respected Contributor

Need Recipe for Spinach Dip Made with Dry Spices....

I'm looking for a spinach dip recipe made with dry spices and only add sour cream OR 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 mayonnaise. 

I've looked everywhere, anyone have a good recipe?

Thank you!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Recipe for Spinach Dip Made with Dry Spices....

I have used a similar one and its very good

ingredients

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (cubed)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 package (10 ounce size) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of its juices
1 can (14 ounce size) artichoke hearts, chopped (can also use frozen & thawed)

directions

Combine all ingredients. Place in shallow casserole dish. Bake the dip for about 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees F 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I've always just used the recipe on the back of the Knorr package. Sorry I couldn't copy/paste the recipe from Knorr' s website on my phone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed.

1-1/2 cups sour cream.

1 cup mayonnaise.

1 package Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix.

1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, finely chopped.

3 green onions, finely chopped (optional)

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting it @MorningLover.

My aunt would make this for every family gathering, and then I followed in making it myself, though I usually omitted the water chestnuts. Sometimes I've used fresh spinach, but the boxed frozen spinach works the best.

Regular Contributor

I used to use the Knorr Vegetable dip until a few years ago.  They changed the ingredients and it no longer tastes very good.  Do companies think we don't notice when they do this?  

Honored Contributor

From Copy Kat Recipes

Herb Seasoning Mix Recipe
Dried Herbs
William Reavell/Dorling Kindersley/Getty Images
    • 15 mins
    • Prep: 15 mins,

• Cook: 0 mins
  • Yield: 1/4 cup (8 portions)

Make your own Herb Seasoning Mix to store in your pantry. You can sprinkle this on any meat before cooking or add to sauces and gravies. It's a good salt substitute to put on the table or to use in recipes. It's a good substitute for mixed Italian seasoning herbs, or for any seasoning mix that a recipe calls for. This recipe is savory and slightly sweet, with a nice smoky flavor. It is not spicy, but has real depth. You can add a teaspoon of salt to this mix if you aren't worried about the sodium content of your recipes.

Whenever you make your own mixes, make sure you use the freshest ingredients possible. To tell if dried herbs and spices are fresh, smell them. If the smell isn't very strong, throw the bottle away and buy a new one. In fact, it's a good idea to do this with all of the herbs and spices stored in your kitchen once a year. Most herbs and spices keep their freshness 6 months to a year, but only if stored in a cool, dry place. I keep mine in a drawer next to the sink.

You can make this recipe with your own favorite herbs. If you like things spicy and hot, add some cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or ground chipotle peppers. You could also use oregano or dill weed in place of one of the other herbs, or dried sage. Or try something exotic like chervil, but only if you and your family like it. Look at my recipes for other seasoning mixes for more ideas.

Whenever you make this mix or any homemade mix, always label it with the date you made it, and with the name of the recipe. There's no point making lots of your own spice mixes if they aren't labeled and you can't tell what you have in the pantry or how long ago they were made!

What You'll Need
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 tsp is 1 mg sodium

How to Make It

1. In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes, dried basil leaves, dried thyme leaves, dried marjoram leaves, and white pepper.

2. Mix well until everything is blended.

3. Decant the mixture into a glass jar with a screw top lid and seal tightly. Label with the date it was made and the name of the recipe, and store in cool dry place up to 6 months. One teaspoo

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate

I have many versions of what you might be  looking for........

Spinach and Herb Dip

2 cups sour cream

1 cup mayonnaise

1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained

1/2 cup chopped parsley

1/2 cup chopped green onion

1 teaspoon dry dillweed

1 teaspoon dry Italian salad dressing mix

(I would add some dried onion flakes to this mix, too, instead of the full amount of chopped green onion.)

Spinach Dip

2 packages frozen chopped spinach

8 oz. sour cream

1 cup mayonnaise

1 package Knorr dry vegetable soup mix

1 can water chestnuts, sliced

Chopped green onion to taste

Cook spinach and drain well.  Add all other ingredients and chill.  Better if made the day before

Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip

1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach

2 (13-3/4 oz.) cans of artichoke hearts

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

1 cup grated pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a casserole dish with nonstick spray.

Heat spinach in microwave on high for 5 minutes and squeeze dry.  

Drain artichoke hearts and coarsely chop in food processor.

Combine all ingredients except the jack cheese in a large bowl.

Stir well.  Scrape into the prepared casserole dish.

Sprinkle jack cheese on top.  Bake 30 minutes.

Transfer to chafing dish and keep warm over low flame.  Serve with bagel chips.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate

I actually prefer serving a dill dip over a spinach dip.   Spinach dip is too easily available and commonly found ready-made  in all grocery stores.

I make my own dillweed/onion dip by mixing mayo, sour cream, lots of dried dillweed and dried parsley,  a little dry mustard, a generous amount of dried onion flakes, dried chives,  salt and pepper.  

I make it ahead and refrigerate to let the onion flakes hydrate and herb flavors to blend. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I used to use the Knorr Vegetable dip until a few years ago.  They changed the ingredients and it no longer tastes very good.  Do companies think we don't notice when they do this?  

@evergreen,Do you know what changed?  My grandsons still eat it with both hands it seems!  Thanks!