Respected Contributor

Nana's Chocolate Cake (Review)

This recipe appeared in a Penzey catalog maybe 4-5 months ago.  It's a rather quick recipe all mixed in one bowl and includes 1 whole cup of cocoa powder.

I made it Saturday and one layer upon taking out of the cake pan cracked in 3, not all the way through but that's the first time a cake cracked like that on the bottom. 

The cake is a very fine texture, for all that chocolate, I don't think it has a lot of flavor and overall, I wouldn't make it again.

If by chance you pulled it from the catalog and thought, well, I'll make that some day, not worth it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nana's Chocolate Cake (Review)

I so hate it when recipes I save for a special occasion turn out lacking.

The below was a big hit with my crowd.

http://lovefoodies.com/nannys-chocolate-fudge-brownie-cake.html

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I so hate it when recipes I save for a special occasion turn out lacking.

The below was a big hit with my crowd.

http://lovefoodies.com/nannys-chocolate-fudge-brownie-cake.html

That's a quick and easy one with box mixes.  Thanks.

I one from Penzey's is a one bowl mix from scratch.  Lotsa great ingrediants but not a cake I would keep and make again.

Valued Contributor

Becky thank you for posting that recipe cake link, I made it and it turned out really good. 

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

Becky thank you for posting that recipe cake link, I made it and it turned out really good. 

You are most welcome!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

you know, I have been receiving the Penzeys catalog for over 15 years..probably more than 20...I suddenly realized, I have not gotten one since Christmas...Now that I think of it, not sure I gave gotten emails lately either...

I don't order a ton, but $40-$50 3 orv4 times a year..

Has anyone else been"purged" lately? Cause I am beginning to think that is what has happened to me...

Trusted Contributor

@Mothertrucker

Quite a while back I remember an e-mail from Penzey's asking you to respond if you wanted to continue receiving the printed catalog.  I did respond, but I don't remember receiving a catalog since that e-mail. (I just looked back at my e-mails -- the date on that "opt in to receive our next catalog" message was 09-15-2016.)