Honored Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER RECIPE GAME 🍂🦃

@KingstonsMom 

That recipe looks delicious. I have fresh broccoli and boneless chicken thighs for Tuesday dinner. I'm wondering if I can modify it, using chicken broth.

Next Ingredient:  Favorite Jello or Fruit type dessert, your choice!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Absolutely, that would be yummy too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

@house_cat .... I am now Qwalker and was walker originally!  Changes have been made but not by my choosing over recent years. First I was walker, then QVC made changes and would not recognize it so I added "Q".  Then changes again put me back to walker.  Due to recent shutdown I had to start over and take Qwalker because it said walker was in use!!!  YES, BY ME!!  No wonder I am so confused!  haha. Crazy!

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... FAVORITE JELLO or FRUIT TYPE
                                      DESSERT, your choice

Honored Contributor

@Qwalker 

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad it's you, in any case. I always enjoy your recipes.  Just to make things more confusing, when I clicked to tag you in this post, both "Qwalker" and "walker" were available choices! 

I've had to change my nic a couple of times for the same reasons. I eventually added the _ between "house" and "cat", because I was told "house cat" was already in use.... you guessed it... it was in use by me!

NEXT INGREDIENT: JELLO or FRUIT TYPE DESSERT, your choice

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

Cranberry GELATIN Salad

1 (16 oz) can Jellied Cranberry Sauce

1 (16.5 oz) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained

1 (10.5 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice

1 (6 oz) package Cherry GELATIN

2 cups boiling water

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

In saucepan over low heat, melt the cranberry sauce.  Cut cherries into pieces and add them to the melted sauce.  Stir in the pineapple with its juice.  Remove mixture from heat.

In separate bowl, pour the boiling water over the GELATIN and stir until dissolved.  Add the GELATIN mixture to the cranberry mixture and stir.  Add pecans if using.  Pour into a 9x13" pan and chill until set.  Serves 12.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BUTTER

Honored Contributor

Last Ingredient = BUTTER

In keeping with the holidays coming up, this is a light, moist, not too sweet cake from Taste of Home, it's always the first dessert to vanish from the dessert table!

It's also great for coffee and tea at breakfast or for a snack.

It's very versatile and you can add any of your favorites, coconut, different nuts, chocolate chips, etc. to the cranberry cake.

Or use this same recipe with a different fruit than cranberry, blueberry, raspberry, add a little white chocolate shavings.....the possibilities are endless, my kind of recipe!

If you don't care for almond extract, just sub vanilla or your favorite flavor instead. (orange extract works well with cranberry too!)

CRANBERRY CAKE

Tart Cranberry Cake

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
  • 2/3 cup chopped pecans
  • Whipped cream, optional

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until slightly thickened and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Add butter and extract; beat 2 minutes. Gradually stir in flour just until combined. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Spread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
  2. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. If desired, serve with whipped cream.

Tart Cranberry Cake Recipe: How to Make It (tasteofhome.com)

Next Ingredient = Pecans

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Kosher salt for seasoning
  • pepper for seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Instructions
  1. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season both sides of the chicken with kosher salt and pepper.  Add 1 tablespoon oil (I use avocado) and 1 tablespoon butter to the hot pan.
  2. Place chicken in the pan and cook for about 10 min on each side (depending on thickness).
  3. When the chicken is almost cooked through (about 150 degrees internal temp), remove the chicken from the pan, and add pecans, butter, chicken broth, brown sugar, honey, thyme leaves, and parsley.  Whisk together over medium heat, then add the chicken back to pan.
  4. Simmer gently for about 5-8 more minutes, spooning the sauce over the chicken. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes when the sauce is bubbly and thickened, and the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees.

Next ingredient:

Brussels sprouts or leftover Brussels sprouts

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

BRUSSELS SPROUTS with Cranberry Balsamic Glaze*

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 

1 tablespoon water

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 lbs. fresh or frozen BRUSSELS SPROUTS, trimmed and

halved 

1/4 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped

Combine vinegar, water, oil, and salt in a blender or food processor: pulse until well combined.  Set aside.

Use a saucepan that will accommodate a vegetable steamer.  Put 2-3" of water in the pan.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Place the steamer in the pan, and then the prepared BRUSSELS SPROUTS.  Cover.  Steam sprouts 5-8 minutes or until they're just tender. (Use fork for poke-test.)

Lift the sprouts out of the pans.  Toss them with the cranberries and then dressing before serving.

To fix in microwave...follow step one for dressing.  Place prepared sprouts and 2-3 tablespoons water in microwave-safe dish.  Cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir and re-cover.  Repeat 3 times, or more, just until the sprouts are as tender as you like them.  Drain off cooking water.  Then mix with cranberries and dressing.

* Recipe found in 5-Ingredient Natural Recipes by Phyllis

Good....seen on QVC.  She also wrote Fix It and Forget

It series for Crock Pot cooking.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SWEET POTATOES or....

any POTATOES 

Honored Contributor

I know many of you don't have a smoker...but if you do...OH man were these good.

I used Jim Beam Honey Bourbon  and cut back on the honey so they were not overly sweet.

These are perfect for the oven or AF as well.  Dicing them helped the flavor go all the way through each bite.

Family is not a fan of Sweet Pot casseroles w/ marsh or crumb toppings, so this was a more 'pure' way to enjoy their flavor.

Smoked Sweet Potatoes

Not just whole sweet potatoes cooked on a smoker, these are diced before smoking.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  •  teaspoons bourbon
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sage or other herbs, see notes
INSTRUCTIONS

• Melt butter over medium low heat in small sauce pan.
  • Add additional ingredients and stir to blend.
  • Place cubed sweet potatoes in a 10" cast iron skillet and top with butter mixture, stirring.
  • Cook in smoker or grill with wood chips in box at approximately 275° for 2+/- hours, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove and from heat when a fork pierces a cube without resistance.
NOTES

Additional herb options are rosemary or thyme.

Honey can be substituted with brown sugar.

Cooking times and temperature can vary if cooking with additional items at a different temperature. Check for doneness each time the sweet potatoes are stirred.

mail.jpg

Next ingredient:  baking powder

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife 

I want to try to cook smoked sweet potatoes in my air fryer.  For the smoky flavor, do you think  adding a little liquid smoke or smoked paprika to the saucepan mixture would work? Sage, rosemary and thyme make me think of seasoning some good ole cornbread dressing so I imagine all three would be great in this recipe.

I thought I would never be able to get back on this site--  I've been locked out for the longest!Smiley Frustrated

Next ingredient:  baking powder