Esteemed Contributor

Thanksgiving.jpg

November.  November!  Already?  How has this year gone by so quickly? 

As we are all thinking about and planning our Thanksgiving feast, let us all remember to be grateful!  

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."

(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there …digo gave us our next ingredient;

Steak or any cut of beef

Esteemed Contributor

BEEF TIPS over RICE
Steak and Ale Copycat Recipe

1 1/2 pounds lean beef chuck cubes
4 tablespoons flour, for dredging
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
T 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup burgundy wine
2 cups water
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
hot cooked rice (for serving)

Dredge beef cubes in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika. In a skillet brown beef cubes in olive oil over medium high heat.  Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook about 5 minutes. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and wine. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of water; cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tender. Add mushrooms and cook another 10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Next ingredient:  Broccoli

Honored Contributor

Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells

Serves: 4

Ingredients

• 20 pasta shells, cooked al dente (til just tender) according to package's instructions
  • 3 cups alfredo sauce
  • 2 cups cooked broccoli florets
  • ½ cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
  • optional: parsley

**I add mushrooms!

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of alfredo sauce in the bottom of the dish.
  2. In a large bowl combine remaining alfredo sauce, broccoli, mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Stir until combined.
  3. Spoon broccoli mixture into pasta shells. Place side by side in baking dish (it's okay if they're touching). Sprinkle remaining cheese over shells.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired and serve.

**This recipe also works well w/ cream of mush soup instead of the Alfredo sauce.  Fat free/light soup works as well.

Next Ingredient:  Am I allowed this:

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for Turkey Gravy that does NOT need drippings?

We smoke our turkeys and there is literally no drippings since you do not baste.

I have googled, but would love a recipe/how to that has been done by one of the great cooks on this game.

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife  @Zhills. There is a thread on here dated 11-5-2013 by Beebee2 entitled MAKE-     AHEAD Turkey   GRAVY that was started and has some ideas about turkey gravy.

Beebee2 posted lots of good, reliable recipes that I have used.

I didn't go through the whole string of replies to her that were in that string referenced above but I know that one year around the fall holidays some of the women's magazines, a food show, and some newspaper food sections had ideas for how to avoid stress with gravy making on THE day.  And there was some discussion of that here in one of the forums here.

Sometimes I uses Better than Bouillion bases that come in jars.  They do have turkey as one of their selections.  I prefer it to bouillion cubes or granules because they are too salty for my taste.  

Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor
I find it is too stressful for me to make gravy on Thanksgiving.  For the last couple of years, I have made this gravy (from All Recipes) on Tuesday.  It uses turkey wings which I can find at my supermarket.    I make two changes to the original recipe (suggested by quite a few reviewers). I reduce the water to 3 1/2 cups and add 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock.  

Chef John's Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy
Recipe By:Chef John
Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large turkey wings
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 10 cups cold water
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 cloves garlic (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Combine onion, carrots, celery, and vegetable oil in a large roasting pan and toss to coat. Place turkey wings on top of vegetables
  3. Place roasting pan in the preheated oven and cook until the turkey wings are browned and vegetables are caramelized and softened, 45 to 60 minutes.
  4. Transfer turkey wings and vegetables to a large stockpot. Place the roasting pan over a stovetop burner on medium heat. Pour 2 tablespoons cold water into the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer mixture to the stockpot and add 10 cups cold water, thyme, and garlic.
  5. Bring turkey wing mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until meat falls off the bone, about 3 hours. Skim off turkey fat throughout the process and set aside 2 tablespoons.
  6. Strain turkey stock and reserve 6 cups of stock; discard all the solids.
  7. Heat butter and 2 tablespoons reserved turkey fat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until it begins to smell like cooked pie crust, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly pour in turkey stock, whisking continuously. Increase heat to high and simmer until thick and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.

Next ingredient:  smoked paprika

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell

@RespectLife

I use this recipe also-have for several years now and it never fails.  I do double it-as Katie Lee on The Kitchen says, "If you think you have enough gravy, make more."    I'd rather have too much than not enough.  The only change I make in this recipe is if I have giblets, I cook those also and mince them to almost nothing.  I add that to the gravy for added flavor.  

Next ingredient: smoked paprika

Valued Contributor

Of gosh, I guess smoked paprika is as popular as it is on my spice cabinet😀.  In the interest of moving the game along, I’d like to change the recipe ingredient to:

Cinnamon 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Chocolate Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup milk

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon CINNAMON

1/2 teaspoon baking soda 

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups oatmeal

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter, sugars, milk, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Add flour, CINNAMON, baking soda and salt.  Then mix in oatmeal, chocolate chips, raisins and nuts.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 12-15 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... GARLIC, GARLIC SALT or 

GARLIC POWDER

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell and @walker

* I found an old recipe that has Smoked Paprika so I'll post that next . . . wasn't filed by me where it should have been . . .*

Club Indian Pudding

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. 1965 edition page 366

Similar to traditional Indian Pudding but firmer and baked in a shorter time.

Scald in a double boiler 1 Qt milk

Stir in slowly 5 Tbsp corn meal

Cook over hot water 20 minutes.  Add

2 Tbsp butter

1 cup molasses

1 tsp salt (I use 1/2 tsp.)

1 tsp cinnamon (and I also add 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.)

2 eggs well beaten

Spoon into a buttered baking dish.  Pour over it 1 cup cold milk.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Serves 6 to 8.

Apple Indian Pudding.  Put 1 cup thinly sliced peeled apples into the baking dish before spooning in the pudding.

NEXT INGEDIENT:  RICE

Esteemed Contributor

The garlic in this recipe makes the recipe. I'm afraid the instructions are a little too detailed, because it comes from a recipe book I'm making for my children.

Pasta Carbonara - More nutritious verson

A Carbonara Recipe with Greek Yogurt

Ingredients

1 lb. uncooked whole wheat linguine, fettuccini or spaghetti
1 tsp olive oil
6 ounces (170g) Canadian bacon or regular bacon, chopped (I like regular bacon)
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 ounce (about ½ of a cup, unpacked) finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more to serve at the table
½ tsp salt
½ tsp coarse black pepper
4 to 5 cloves of garlic - or more, chopped
2 large eggs
Chopped Tuscan (or other) kale (small bunch)

Instructions

You can bring the pasta water up to a boil, but don't put in the pasta until about 6-8 minutes before your sauce is done. Cook the pasta according to package directions. However, just before you drain it scoop out at least 1 cup of the hot pasta water. While the pasta water is coming to boil, warm the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the Canadian bacon, or regular bacon cut up into small strips, and cook just until it starts to brown. Remove it from the pan and set it aside to drain on paper towel. Add garlic and sauté and then the kale to wilt, place the yogurt, parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Stir it around and then crack in your eggs. Whisk it all together with a fork. Now slowly drizzle in the hot cooking liquid to temper the eggs in the mixture. Put tempered egg mixture into the pan with the kale and garlic and add the bacon and stir. Do not boil this mixture, just keep warm. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and immediately add the hot noodles to your egg mixture. Stir to combine. You want all the noodles to be coated a bit with the sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, drizzle in some of your reserved pasta water, a couple of tablespoons at a time until you get the right consistency. Serve the carbonara at the table alongside a bowl of grated parmesan cheese and a pepper mill so that people can add more.

Next Ingredient: Walnuts