Honored Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

No turkey for Thanksgiving?  Ham anyone? (Although I have to have the turkey. 😊)  Here is an easy ham dinner for two.  Plus, extra side dish....a "twopher" today!

Ham Steak

1 Ham Steak

Butter, BROWN SUGAR and Cinnamon

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in large pan.  Add ham steak and cook on medium for 4 minutes, turn and cook for 3 minutes.  Add 1 more tablespoon of butter along with 1 tablespoon BROWN SUGAR and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon.

Mix around ham and serve.

Raisin Sauce

1 cup raisins

2 1/2 cups water

2/3 cup BROWN SUGAR

2 tablespoons corn starch

3 teaspoons dry mustard

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon cloves

3 tablespoons vinegar

Simmer raisins in water 10 minutes.  Combine other ingredients; add to raisins and cook until thick.  Serve with ham.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... BUTTER

Respected Contributor

For any of you who have a hankering for cheesecake, but aren't up to the task, here's an easy, yummy cheesecake recipe that's ready in no time.

Easy Cheesecake 

INGREDIENTS:

CRUST:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (9 to 10 whole graham crackers), crushed 
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar 
5 1/3 tablespoons butter, melted 
1/8 teaspoon salt 

FILLING:
two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature 
2/3 cup granulated sugar 
2 large eggs, at room temperature 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

*Select a pie pan whose inside top dimension is at least 9", and whose height is at least 1 1/4". 
Preheat the oven to 350°F. 

DIRECTIONS:
1. To make the crust: Stir together all of the crust ingredients, mixing until thoroughly combined. 

2. Press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan, making a thicker layer on the bottom than on the sides

3. To make the filling: Mix together the room-temperature cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs and vanilla, again mixing until smooth. 
*To avoid beating too much air into the batter, use a mixer set at low-medium speed. 
*To avoid lumps, make sure the cream cheese is softened, and/or at room temperature. 

4. Set the pie pan onto a baking sheet, if desired; this makes it easier to transport in and out of the oven, and also protects the bottom of the crust from any potential scorching. 
Pour the filling into the crust. 

5. To bake:
Place the cheesecake in the oven. Bake it for 20 minutes, then add a crust shield; or shield the crust with strips of aluminum foil. Bake for an additional 10 minutes (for a total of about 30 minutes). 
A digital thermometer inserted into the filling 1" from the edge should read between 165°F and 170°F; the filling won't look entirely set in the center. 

6. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and set it on a rack to cool. 

*Once the cake is cool, refrigerate it, covered, until you're ready to serve it. Best after 3-4 hours, or overnight.

*For a chocolatey cheesecake:
Substitute Oreos for graham crackers, & follow the recipe as written.
Put 28 Oreo cookies into a food processor & pulse to crush, or use a Ziploc bag and rolling pin to finely crush them, then toss with the melted butter
*roughly chop 5 Oreos and stir gently into filling*
Sprinkling some mini chocolate chips onto the top looks cute.

Next Ingredient:  oatmeal

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini 

Is the cream scraped off of the Oreos or is the whole intact cookie pulsed in the food processor? Thx!

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze, nope, no scraping. Just smash up the whole cookie, cream filling & all. Smiley Happy

It really is an easy recipe, & best made the day before so that it has plenty of time to chill.

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@sabatini 

Thanks for your speedy reply.  I plan to make the chocolatey vetsion.  Will add the mini chips plus maraschino cherries for toppings.

Respected Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

@sabatini 

Thanks for your speedy reply.  I plan to make the chocolatey vetsion.  Will add the mini chips plus maraschino cherries for toppings.

Oh wow, that sounds delish, @vabreeze! Please let me know how it turns out. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Monster Cookies

I think this is an oldie but a goodie. I just made them for the first time a few weeks ago, and they were so easy. There is so much oatmeal in these cookies, they could pass for breakfast! My daughter gave me this recipe, but I found it on several websites as well. Very easy and yummy!

Ingredients

1/4 cup raisins (optional, but I like them)

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies (M&Ms)

1 stick softened butter

1 (12 oz) jar creamy peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons baking soda

4 1/2 cups not instant quick-cooking oatmeal

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins (if using), baking soda and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. (I used a cookie scoop)

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Next ingredient: Sage 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good recipe for extra stuffing....

Oven-Baked Stuffing

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

2 cups celery, chopped

16 cups dried bread cubes (3 loaves)*

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/2 teaspoon SAGE

2 cups chicken broth

Melt butter; add celery and onions cooking 10 minutes.  Blend in bread, salt, poultry seasoning, pepper, thyme and SAGE.  Stir in broth to moisten (little at a time until moistened enough...may not need 2 cups).

Bake at 350 degrees in greased casserole dish (9x13" or little larger), uncovered, for 45 minutes.

*  I buy bread and open packages to let them air dry a bit for few days.  Then I cube them and continuing letting them dry until I fix recipe.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... PARMESAN CHEESE

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Monster Cookies

I think this is an oldie but a goodie. I just made them for the first time a few weeks ago, and they were so easy. There is so much oatmeal in these cookies, they could pass for breakfast! My daughter gave me this recipe, but I found it on several websites as well. Very easy and yummy!

Ingredients

1/4 cup raisins (optional, but I like them)

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies (M&Ms)

1 stick softened butter

1 (12 oz) jar creamy peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons baking soda

4 1/2 cups not instant quick-cooking oatmeal

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins (if using), baking soda and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. (I used a cookie scoop)

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Next ingredient: Sage 

@PA Mom-mom  This is a great recipe. I used to make it. I also put potato chips in my recipe. I haven't made them in years.

Thanks for reminding me.

Everyone, enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

spinach bake.jpeg

Creamy Parmesan Spinach Bake

Ingredients

• 3 packages (9 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 8 butter-flavored crackers, coarsely crushed
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place half of the spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or just until wilted. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining spinach; set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Reduce heat to low; stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, half-and-half, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic and pepper. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in the artichokes, dill, seasoned salt and spinach.
  3. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until edges are bubbly.

Next ingredient: marshmallows

~ house cat ~