Honored Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

CREAMY BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND LEEKS

Admittedly, Brussel sprouts are not one of my all time favorite foods but I do love this recipe with the addition of leeks, sour cream and cumin for a unique twist  it's extremely easy to make!

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
30 mins
3B1B5F9F-FB02-429D-8A9E-50DD2AC39B20.jpeg

Servings: 3 -4
Calories: 401 kcal

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lbs leeks
  • 1 lbs brussels sprouts
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 3 Tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese + more for topping
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Saute the leeks in the butter until they are soft and begin to caramelize (about 10 minutes)
  2. Cut the bottom part of the brussels sprouts, and halve or quarter them.
  3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and add the brussels sprouts. Cook for 5 minutes and drain.
  4. Saute the brussels sprouts in olive oil, salt and pepper, until they begin to get a nice color (5-7 minutes).
  5. Add the leeks back to the pan, and stir.
  6. Add the sour cream, mixed with the cumin, and smashed garlic and stir.
  7. Add the Parmesan cheese, and combine everything.
  8. Taste and adjust the garlic/salt/pepper content, and cook for just a couple more minutes.
  9. Optionally, sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top, and put under the broiler to get a nice cheesy top.

Next Ingredient: ALMOND EXTRACT

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I just love those nostalgic sounding recipes!

I'm going to try this one at some point soon, but I'll have to leave off the coconut for DH.

Thank you.

Next ingredient: almond extract

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

almond raspberry stars.jpg

Almond Raspberry Stars

from Taste of Home

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped almonds
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg white, beaten
  • 1/3 cup raspberry jam

Directions

1. Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in extracts. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Shape into a ball; refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. With floured cookie cutters, cut dough into equal numbers of 2-1/2-in. and 1-1/2-in. stars. Combine almonds, sugar and cinnamon. Brush small stars with egg white; immediately sprinkle with almond mixture. Leave large stars plain.

3. Place all stars 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets, using separate sheets for the small and the large stars. Bake just until tips begin to brown, about 10 minutes for small stars and 12 minutes for large. Cool completely on wire racks.

4. To assemble, spread enough jam over large stars to cover centers. Top with small stars; press lightly (jam should show around edge of small stars). Let jam set before storing cookies in an airtight container.

Next ingredient:  instant espresso powder

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Glaze for Cookies.....

Cappuccino Glaze

Whisk together.....1 tablespoon softened cream cheese

1 tablespoon INSTANT ESPRESSO 

POWDER

2 tablespoons milk

Add to above; whisk until smooth.....

1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... COCONUT

Honored Contributor

@walker 

That glaze sounds wonderful! I'm thinking it would be lovely on a simple bundt cake.  Thank you.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  COCONUT

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@walker 

That glaze sounds wonderful! I'm thinking it would be lovely on a simple bundt cake.  Thank you.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  COCONUT

Good idea, house_cat!  By the way, after I posted Coconut here, my new Taste of Home Magazine came with three recipes including coconut!  If no one has a recipe to post, I will share one of those. 

Honored Contributor

This is my very favorite and is often called Rotten Cake in my old Southern church cookbooks, because you should make it 3 days in advance, to let it sit in the fridge to become one of the moistest coconut cakes you'll ever taste! (If you can wait that long!)

3 Day Old Coconut Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
1 cup white sugar
1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (12 oz.) package of frozen coconut

Grease and flour two 9 inch pans. Prepare cake mix as directed , using milk in place of water.

Bake according to instructions on package. Let cake cool 5 minutes, remove from pans and cut in half, horizontally.

To make the filling:

Mix together the sour cream and sugar in a medium sized bowl, stir in the coconut. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and slowly spread the rest on the cut cake layers and let it soak in.

Fold whipped topping into the remaining filling. Assemble layers and frost the outside of the cake.

Refrigerate from 1 to 3 days before serving (the longer, the moister!)

*Note* - For Easter I dye some coconut green and sprinkle on top or make 'nests' of dyed coconut & add mini jelly beans to the nests.
You can also toast some coconut to sprinkle on top.
Works great using reduced fat sour cream and lite whipped topping too!

NEXT INGREDIENT: Pecans

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Monkey Bread Muffins

1 (12 oz) can biscuits, 10 in can

3 tablespoons maple syrup

1/4 cup butter, melted

2/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup finely chopped PECANS

Preheat oven to 375.  Place cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.  With kitchen shears (or knife) cut each biscuit into 4 pieces; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and melted butter.  In separate bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon and PECANS.  Dip each biscuit piece into maple butter mixture, then roll in the sugar mixture.  Place 3 or 4 coated pieces in each muffin cup, pressing down to compact.  

Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.  Serve warm.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... STRAWBERRIES, fresh or frozen

Honored Contributor

@walker 

Thank you again! I get the best ideas on this forum!

I have a mini-bundt tray and this would be so much fun to make with children, they can each get their own!

I love it!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... STRAWBERRIES, fresh or frozen

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Image8.jpg

Weekend breakfast or quick dessert!

p.s.  Don't be stingy with toppings!

Next ingredient:  Beef (any cut)