Esteemed Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

Giblet Gravy

Giblets from turkey (heart, gizzard, liver and neck)

4 cups water or chicken broth

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Drippings from turkey pan (about a cup)

3/4 cup self-rising flour 

Boil giblets in water or broth until cooked.   Remove and chop small. I remove the skin from the neck and pull any meat off the bone. Discard neck bone.  

Put meat and giblets back in water or  broth and add salt and pepper, flour and drippings.  Continue cooking while stirring continuously with wire whisk until thickens.  Serve over stuffing or dressing. Makes about 5 cups. Enjoy!

Next ingredient:  Romaine lettuce

Honored Contributor

It is hard cooked eggs not hard boiled. Haven't heard hard boiled in years.

Bread crumbs-kind in a box-how about the kind you make yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Next ingredient:  Romaine lettuce

Respected Contributor

This is a recipe that @LoLa shared back in 2012!

She'd suggested Boston or Bib lettuce, but back when I'd made it, I used Romaine....since it's the lettuce I'd had on hand.

Lola's Lettuce Wraps

Making smarter/healthier choices for 2012 and this one hits the spot. Plus, it's low carb! These are so tasty!

Marinade:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry or mirin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 green onion, finely chopped

Filling:
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 tablespoon oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3/4 cup shredded cabbage
5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
1 (5-ounce) can water chestnuts, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded, ribs removed and finely diced) optional

1 small head of Boston or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed, and dried

Dipping sauce:
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon sriracha (optional) hot sauce

1. In a large bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Add the ground meat; use a fork or your hands to coat the meat with the marinade, breaking up large chunks. Set aside for 15 minutes.

2. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it flows like water when the pan is tilted. Add the shallot, garlic, and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about one minute. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms soften. Add the chicken with its marinade and the water chestnuts; cook, breaking the meat into small pieces, until no pink remains, about 6 minutes. Stir in the green onions and jalapeno if using.

3. Combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with the meat and lettuce leaves, filling the lettuce just before serving to prevent wilting.

Next Ingredient: leftover turkey

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

OK, no takers for 'leftover turkey'? How about:

Next ingredient: leftover ANYTHING!  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I love your Ingredient idea! I wanted to post this since I saw your Ingredient but I didn’t have time to find it yesterday. 😊

Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Waffle Sandwiches 

Ingredients

2/3 cup left-over stuffing, warm
2 slices carved turkey, warm
1 slice bacon, cooked crisp
1 egg, cooked over easy
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
As needed, nonstick cooking spray

Preparation

1 Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2 Using a #16 ice cream scoop or measuring cup, portion two (1/3 cup each) scoops of stuffing; shape each into about a 2-inch wide by 1-inch thick patty.
3 Spray waffle iron generously with nonstick cooking spray.
4 Place patties on waffle iron, close lid and bake for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
5 Carefully remove waffles.
6 Layer warm sliced turkey, egg, cheese and bacon on bottom half of waffle sandwich; close with top half of waffle sandwich.
7 Serve warm.

You can be creative with the ingredients and customize it depending on what you like!

Next Ingredient: LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES

Respected Contributor

Wow, @GenXmuse, your recipe makes me wish that I still had a waffle iron! Great idea.

Thanks for carrying on w/ leftovers....love it!  Smiley LOL

Next ingredient: leftover mashed potatoes

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Wow, @GenXmuse, your recipe makes me wish that I still had a waffle iron! Great idea.

Thanks for carrying on w/ leftovers....love it!  Smiley LOL

Next ingredient: leftover mashed potatoes

Lol. Well, there are crazier things you could buy!!  

Very timely to do leftovers-glad you started this because I sure would like some ideas!

Esteemed Contributor

Shepherd’s Pie

Author: Adapted from Danny Boome

Ingredients

For the filling:

• ½ Tbsp. butter
  • ½ Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
  • 1½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ cup beef broth
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen peas

For the Mashed Potatoes

• 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • ¼ cup milk or cream
  • ¾ cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400*
  2. Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic until just tender, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Once the veggies have browned just a bit, stir in the tomato paste and mix thouroughly. Add the ground meat and cook until meat is no longer pink, 7-10 minutes. Spoon off as much grease from the meat mixture as you can. Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Simmer, over low heat, for 5 minutes. Mix in the peas. Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking dish.
  3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and a tablespoon of salt. Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes well and place them back into the pan. Mash the potatoes with the milk/cream and butter. Stir in the grated cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the beef mixture, spreading out evenly and from edge to edge. Rake through the potatoes with a fork to create peaks. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake until browned, about 20 minutes. Spoon out the pie and serve. Serves 4-6.

For the topping:  Let leftover mashed potatoes come to room temp while making veggies.  Spoon over veggies in baking dish.

Next ingredient:  Sweet potatoes

Regular Contributor

6 to 8 Servings

6 small sweet potatoes (about 3 lb.)
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into cubes.  Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Drain water and mash the potatoes with an electric mixer.  Combine sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients, mixing with an electric mixer until smooth.  Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.  Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. 

Next Ingredient:  Pimientos