Esteemed Contributor

Re: NOVEMBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

"I just got confused because polenta and grits are corn meal which we just did"

@GenXmuse  True they are all made from corn but, to my knowledge, cornmeal is usually made into a dough or used as breading while polento and grits are cooked differently and are used as a stand alone dish.  Thus the difference, to me.  I have never seen or eaten cornmeal alone.  Thanks for the followup.

Sorry, you posted while I was typing and I didn't see it.

Next ingredient:  Brown Sugar

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
6 to 8 Servings

6 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 (16.5 oz.) pkg. refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Peel, core and slice apples.  Combine apples with the brown sugar, flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and lemon juice; toss to coat apples well.  Spoon apples into an ungreased deep-dish pie pan.  Slice cookie dough and arrange on top of apples, overlapping if necessary.  Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over cookie dough.  Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and apples are tender.

Next Ingredient:  Chicken broth
Honored Contributor

I make this every summer.  It makes a TON of soup (this was from her first cookbook that was based on her specialty store recipes), so I make 1/4 of the recipe or I make the whole thing and freeze most of it.  It freezes well.  I use frozen diced potatoes and frozen corn. Easy peasy!

Cheddar Corn Chowder (Barefoot Contessa)

8 ounces bacon, chopped

1/4 cup good olive oil

6 cups chopped yellow onions (4 large onions)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

12 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade (or broth)

6 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (2 pounds)

10 cups corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)

2 cups half-and-half

1/2 pound sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated

In a large stockpot on medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.

If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cobs and blanch the kernels for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn, you can skip this step.)

Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and Cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  TURMERIC

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Glazed Sausage and Apples

2 lbs. sausage links

1/4 cup BROWN SUGAR

2 large tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced

1/3 cup water

1 large onion, chopped (optional)

Brown sausage, remove from heat and drain drippings.  Mix remaining ingredients and cook 8-10 minutes.  Stir in sausage and continue to simmer until ready to serve.  Glaze thickens as it cooks and coats the meat.  Serves 8-10.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SWISS CHEESE

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry.....I guess I was stuck on wrong page!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... TURMERIC

Honored Contributor

Sensational Swiss Bread

I got this recipe from an old boyfriend's mother who got it from her sister.  This is incredible bread due to 3 risings.  If you want something to take to a dinner, this is it.

INGREDIENTS

1 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
1⁄4 cup warm water, about 110 degrees Fahrenheit
1⁄4 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup swiss cheese, 1/4-inch dice

DIRECTIONS

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add milk, sugar, salt, butter, eggs, and half of the flour.

Using an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes. Add remaining flour; blend in with a wooden spoon (or use a dough hook) until dough is smooth and elastic.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk. Punch down. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Punch down dough; form a flattened ball. Knead in the cheese until pieces are well distributed throughout the dough. Shape into a round ball.
Place in a buttered 8-inch pie plate. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°. Bake for about 30 minutes, until nicely browned.
Loaf should sound hollow when rapped on the bottom. Brush with a little melted butter while still hot. Remove from pie pan and cool on a rack.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Turmeric

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Salmon with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce and Carrot Salad

INGREDIENTS

Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce

½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 small garlic clove, grated
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced
Fine sea salt, freshly ground black pepper

Carrot Salad

½ teaspoon cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 large carrot, shredded
1½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more

Salmon and Assembly

1½ pounds salmon, preferably wild-caught sockeye or king, skin on, cut into 5 fillets
1 tablespoon neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed, plus more for drizzling
Flaky sea salt

RECIPE PREPARATION

Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce

Combine yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Fold in cucumber and season with fine sea salt and pepper.
Do Ahead: Sauce without cucumber can be made up to 1 day ahead; store in an airtight container and chill.

Carrot Salad

Toast cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, about 1 minute. Add turmeric for the last 15–20 seconds and toast until fragrant. Combine toasted spices, carrot, cilantro, oil, and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl. Toss and season with fine sea salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Do Ahead: Carrot salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead; store in an airtight container and chill.

Salmon and Assembly

Season salmon with fine sea salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp. neutral oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high. Cook salmon, skin side down, undisturbed, until salmon skin is crisped and browned, 3–4 minutes. Gently turn fillets and cook until salmon is just opaque at the center, 1–2 minutes for medium rare.
Divide fillets among plates, skin side up, and serve with cucumber-yogurt sauce and carrot salad. Drizzle with neutral oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.

Next Ingredient: CARAWAY SEEDS

39B2733D-A6DC-4DA0-A3C3-C9C05AE95EAF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

IRISH SODA BREAD (Gourmet Magazine 2002)

I've been making this since it was published in the magazine.  It is super easy and I love it.  However, I don't like caraway seeds, so I never put them in.  LOL

YIELD  Makes 2 (6-inch) loaves

ACTIVE TIME15 minutes

TOTAL TIME2 1/2 hours

INGREDIENTS

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds

1 cup raisins

1 3/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour. Sift together 4 cups flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and stir in sugar, caraway, and raisins.

Add buttermilk and stir just until dough is evenly moistened but still lumpy.

Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and gently knead with floured hands about 8 times to form a soft but slightly less sticky dough. Halve dough and form into 2 balls.

Pat out each ball into a domed 6-inch round on baking sheet. Cut a 1/2-inch-deep X on top of each loaf with a sharp knife, then brush loaves with butter.

Bake in middle of oven until golden brown and bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 35 to 40 minutes.

Transfer loaves to racks to cool completely.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BUTTERMILK

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

These are so good and a great alternative to frying

Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings

Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
40 mins

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
3 cups panko breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Peel and slice onions into 1/4-inch slices and separate into rings; set aside.

Prepare the dipping station - you'll need three shallow dishes or bowls:
In the first bowl, combine the flour, paprika and 2 teaspoons salt.
In the second bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Now add half of the flour mixture from the first bowl and whisk until smooth.
In the third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, and 2 teaspoons salt.

Batter the onion rings:
Dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture first, then dip into the buttermilk batter, coating all sides. Gently shake off the excess batter, then dredge in the panko mixture being sure to coat well.

Place the breaded onion rings on the baking sheets in a single layer.
Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through the cooking time for even crisping and browning.

Next Ingredient: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

9DB12076-7AB9-4D3C-A35A-BDC84EBC16C9.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Best-Ever Chicken Salad

Prep time
15 mins
Cook time
55 mins
Total time
1 hour 10 mins

This Best-Ever Chicken Salad is really wonderful. Perfect for incredible chicken salad sandwiches (croissants are great!), or on top of a lovely bed of greens. Either way, you're just going to love this Best-Ever Chicken Salad! 100% Loon Approved!
Author: Kris Longwell

Serves: 4 - 6
Ingredients
  • 3 - 4 lbs of chicken parts (bone-in, skin-on thighs and breasts work well) (you'll need about 3 to 4 cups of cooked chicken)store bought ROTISSERIE  chicken works well here
  • 2 tablespoons quality olive oil
  • 1 cup of seedless grapes, sliced in half (red and green varieties are great)
  • 1 cup almonds, thinly sliced (optional), can sub walnuts or no nuts
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (start with ½ teaspoon, then add more, to taste)
  • Freshly ground pepper

Instructions if using a store bought ROTISSERIE  chicken or left over chicken skip to step 4 or 5.

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
  2. Rub oil all over the chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  3. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes (internal temp should reach 165 F). .
  4. Remove the chicken, let cool, then pull the meat from the bones and roughly chop.
  5. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, grapes, almonds, celery, scallions, dill & parsley
  6. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon, mustard, salt and pepper.
  7. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the chicken mixture, and gently stir until will mixed.
  8. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
  9. Serve on a bed of green leaves with sliced tomatoes and avocado. Or, serve on bread with green leaf lettuce. Add more toppings to your taste!
  10. Enjoy!

next ingredient:  chicken livers