Respected Contributor

Re: NO FAIL MEATLOAF HONESTLY

I'll check into that water bath method although my meat loaves turn out very well.  I'm always interested in new techniques.

If you don't have a pan with an insert, place a couple pieces of dry bread beneath the meat, they'll soak up the grease.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to have to get one of those pans.  

My meatloaf is hit or miss, and yes, I do make patties from the remainders.

I think it just depends on my mood and what I have in the pantry/fridge that determines the outcome.  I am tired, however, of draining grease mid-cook (elaborate system of big old coffee can in sink on newspaper and stuff always gets where it is not supposed to).

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Meatloaf tip......

A single friend told me since she cooks for one or two, she uses one pound of ground beef, one egg, and one pkg of stovetop stuffing.

It adds the spices and the bread crumbs. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Grammyto3, smart lady. I love her easy, simple style and I'll bet it is pretty tasty. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@AuntG 

Hi.   You may not be adding enough binding agent.  I use crushed saltine crackers because that's what my Mother did but most people use bread, I think.   Also, you need an beaten egg or two depending on the size of the meatloaf.

I was thinking the exact same thing as you.

If the mixture is turning out kind of liquid-y, it probably needs more of a binder in it. 

I will also use saltines in my meatloaf as a binder.

My Mom used to use oatmeal, and I did, too. I like to try different things. I'll use dry bread crumbs instead of oatmeal.

I'll also use an egg, too.

I don't often follow the same recipe when I make a meatloaf, as I'll kind of "eyeball" a recipe and change things up to try something different. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Mix your meatloaf with your hands.  I once tried putting it in my Kitchen Aid and it came out way too "smooth."  I don't know how that affected flavor, but it sure did.