Frequent Contributor

Fpr years I have had problems until I finally did what my MILsure did.

After you make your recipe, put in a covered pan and put water in the pan with the meatloaf and put the lid  on the pan of meatloaf.   I think it steams the meatloaf.  I am so glad I finally  did what  she did.   Also, my husband loves meatloaf sandwichs. Be sure you  pat  down your  meatloaf       ENJOY

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NO FAIL MEATLOAF HONESTLY

@LOVEMYFURBABY wrote:

Fpr years I have had problems until I finally did what my MILsure did.

After you make your recipe, put in a covered pan and put water in the pan with the meatloaf and put the lid  on the pan of meatloaf.   I think it steams the meatloaf.  I am so glad I finally  did what  she did.   Also, my husband loves meatloaf sandwichs. Be sure you  pat  down your  meatloaf       ENJOY

@my furry friend sadie  

I form my meatload in burgers because DH makes meatlolf sandwiches.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey.  Brilliant!  I love meatloaf sandwiches too but never thought to make it in patties.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My meatloaf bakes up fine and tastes fine. However it looks awful and falls apart. Sometimes it looks like I'm serving sloppy Joe with our mashed potatoes and glazed carrots.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

This sounds like using a Bain Marie technique. Is that correct? I will definitely try this method. My husband and I order meatloaf at a local restaurant that has been cooked, sliced thick and then placed on grill. It holds together nicely and the grill gives a great flavor.

Honored Contributor

@LOVEMYFURBABY, thanks for the suggestion, I am going to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I don't like meatloaf.  I know it's dumb, it's basically a meatball in a different shape and I like meatballs.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG 

Hi.   You may not be adding enough binding agent.  I use crushed saltine crackers because that's what my Mother did but most people use bread, I think.   Also, you need an beaten egg or two depending on the size of the meatloaf.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love meat loaf and make a pretty good one however, I dont have a recipe , I just dump it all together. The one thing I use in it is a splash of soy sauce. I use various dry binders too, oatmeat, rice, bread crumbs. But the one thing I always do--- is mix it up very lightly and NEVER pack it in the loaf pan. Don't want a hocky puck--- I use the loaf pan with the insert in it to drain off the fat--that is a genius invention. Hmmm... sounds really good--may make one for dinner tonight---we love sammies afterward too. Also, since I only use my Breville counter top oven that has a convection feature---I brown the top of it for a few minutes too-----

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I love meat loaf and make a pretty good one however, I dont have a recipe , I just dump it all together. The one thing I use in it is a splash of soy sauce. I use various dry binders too, oatmeat, rice, bread crumbs. But the one thing I always do--- is mix it up very lightly and NEVER pack it in the loaf pan. Don't want a hocky puck--- I use the loaf pan with the insert in it to drain off the fat--that is a genius invention. Hmmm... sounds really good--may make one for dinner tonight---we love sammies afterward too. Also, since I only use my Breville counter top oven that has a convection feature---I brown the top of it for a few minutes too-----

I don't have the countertop oven but I have the meatloaf pan with the insert.  I ball up some aluminum foil and put under the insert.  Doing so means the meat doesn't sit in all that grease beign released from the meatloaf.