Honored Contributor

Re: NEED SOME ADVICE BADLY ON USING COOKIE PRESSES

@hummermom

After years & years of perfect spritz cookies using my mom's Mirro metal one it finally bit the dust🙀

I bought the pro Wilton...total disaster & frustration.  Ditched that dough &  cookie press.😡

This year my niece took on learning to bake she ordered the OXO one ....her cookies were perfect!!!  I tried mine did too!  I ordered one & look forward to using it.

Frequent Contributor

@homedecor1

I think you'll be pleased with your OXO press. I also ordered a set of Christmas disks from Amazon last year, just for a little variety.

And try the recipe with the cream cheese. The cream cheese adds a subtle tang and the cookies have a better texture IMHO.

Honored Contributor

Make sure the cookie sheet is not the least bit warm or the extruded dough will not stick to it as it comes out of the press.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I make spritz cookies all year with an old mirro press; and have used many different dough recipes. I use a non stick cookie sheet, but never use parchment paper or grease the pan in any way, and never chill the dough (the favorite cookie happens to use butter). I think you need the slightest "grip" from the pan for the cookies to release well. The reviews here of the OXO press intrigue me, as the old Mirro won't last forever!  

Honored Contributor

I always use butter, don't refrigerate the dough and never have a problem with mine except for maybe the first one or two and then I get into a rhythm.

I use the Super Spritz recipe that came with the press.

I have the old electric Wearever and will be sad when it makes it's last cookie.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/super-spritz-cookies-403658 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This year I got an Oxo and love it.  I always have used butter and never should you chill the dough as it will not come out right.  Even with the Oxo, there are times when I would have to click one and a half or twice to release a cookie and occasionally a large hunk would come out but I don't think there is a cookie press anywhere where that doesn't happen.  You just put the dough back in later.  Also as others have said the press must be even on the sheet and pressure heavy and consistent as well as the dough pressed tightly before trying to press.   I never use parchment either for anything as it just complicates things.  I make about 20 dozen spritz each Christmas and even before my Oxo quite effortless. 

Honored Contributor

My sister and I used to make the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cooky book. 

but it's been so long since I have made them

butter, room temp

no parchment paper

boy those are good 

Regular Contributor

hummermom, would you be willing to share your recipe?  I too tried to make cookies this year with my press and had the most horrible time!  I think finding the right recipe is key.  I do have one that uses a box of jello sprinkled in the dough but I tried a different one this year and have thrown that one in the trash.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

My sister and I used to make the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cooky book. 

but it's been so long since I have made them

butter, room temp

no parchment paper

boy those are good 

This is the "tried and true" recipe that I always use for cookie press Spritz cookies, and these turn out fine, without any problems for me.

I use butter in the recipe. 

Make sure that your cookie sheets are cooled down again before you put the cookie dough on them again.

You want to keep the press right up against the cookie sheet. 

That sounds really simplified and obvious, but like others have said, there really is a knack for getting it just so, and you'll get it by lots of trial and error, so please don't get discouraged about it, those of you who are having trouble using a press right now. Heart

If you mess it up, just take the dough off of the cookie sheet and put it back in your dough bowl to reuse it again in your press. Smiley Happy

I literally stand right over/on top of the cookie sheet with the press, and press down carefully on it with the press, taking my time with the press. 

I just follow what the recipe says, and I don't use any parchment paper, or anything like that. 

With my hand press, I mostly used the Christmas Tree disk, as I found that one to be the easiest one to use.

You can use food coloring in your cookie dough if you like, and I found it easier to also put little sprinkles/jimmies or decorations on the cookies after I pressed them, and right before I baked them.